Most degree programs at Middlesex require 60 to 64 credit hours to earn the associate degree. Please be aware that you must select correct courses to fulfill specific requirements of the degree program in which you are enrolled.

 A prerequisite is a course that you must have completed in order to enroll in the course you desire. In order to determine if a course has a prerequisite, refer to the college catalog. Typically the semester schedule will have an asterisk next to the number of a course to designate a prerequisite is required.

 A social science course at Middlesex includes courses in: Anthropology, economics, history, political science, psychology, sociology, and social science. Humanities courses at the college include: communication (except Communication 101) , English, foreign language, and philosophy. Fine arts courses include: Art and music. Fine arts may be used to fulfill a Humanities elective in some curricula.

 In order to maintain full-time student status, a student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester. Please note, at the rate of 12 credit hours per semester it will take longer than four academic semesters to earn an associate’s degree.

 Advisors for new students are assigned by the Admissions Office based upon the intended major of the student. For those in a career-related program an advisor from the academic program will be assigned. Students in General Studies are assigned to a member of the larger faculty pool. Currently all non-degree students are assigned to the Director of Academic Support and Minority Student Services. Continuing students are assigned advisors by the Records Office.
 A matriculated student is one who is officially enrolled in a degree program at the college (the phrase degree seeking is often used here interchangeably.)

A major or program of study is a specific curriculum or set of courses designed to meet career or academic goals. Faculty determine the appropriate courses to be required in a particular curriculum and make their decisions by determining what body of knowledge is required for a student to succeed in a particular career or transfer program.

[/wpspoiler] [wpspoiler name=”How do I declare/change a major?” ]In order to declare a major, one must go to the Records Office where a staff member will complete the change of program form. New students will have their form filled out by the Admissions Office. If you are unsure of the area in which you would like to major, a counselor in the Career Development and Counseling Center, Snow Hall, room 406, may be able to provide some assistance.

Students are encouraged to meet with their assigned advisor, especially in career related majors. However, a student may meet with any full time faculty member. Please recognize that it is in the students’ best interest to develop an on-going relationship with an advisor and not simply to obtain a signature on a registration form.

 Most courses require the student to successfully write at the college level. However, courses in art, music, computers, science and math tend not to have this requirement. To determine if a course has English 063 or placement into English 101 as a prerequisite, refer to the college catalog or the current schedule. Typically a plus sign (+) denotes a class that has English 101 or any other course as a prerequisite.

Quite often a student is able to utilize courses taken in a former major and apply them to a new program of study. The student and/or his/her advisor must ensure the category of the course taken (eg. English as a humanity) meets the appropriate criterion for the new program of study.

In order to fully utilize the services of your assigned academic advisor, it is recommended that you meet with him/her on a regular basis and discuss a number of issues. These topics should include but are not limited to your academic progress, career and degree goals, interest in transfer options, etc.

 When meeting with your academic advisor it is recommended that you bring a copy of your transcript, college catalog, current course schedule, on-going graduation checklist, and catalog of the institution to which you wish to transfer (if appropriate.)

 All faculty advisors should have clearly identified office hours during which they are available to meet with students for a myriad of reasons. During Advising Week, faculty post additional hours during which they will be available for the specific purpose of advising. It is the college’s hope that students and advisors will be able to establish mutually convenient times for advising through this week. However, if you are still unable to meet with your advisor, you may meet with any full-time faculty member.

 There are numerous reasons why a student should meet with his/her assigned advisor. Students are encouraged to meet with their assigned advisor, most specifically in career-related majors. For students who plan on transferring to a bachelor level college or university, it is crucial that you meet with your advisor. Middlesex Community College has agreements with many area schools on the acceptance of transfer credits. Your advisor will be able to assist you in selecting courses that should meet the requirements at the institution to which you plan to transfer. If an advisor is unsure about the selection of courses for transfer purposes, the student may be referred to the staff of the Career Development and Counseling Center for assistance. In addition, your advisor may work with you on scheduling issues. Often, advisors may also assist students with time management planning, provide insight on how to balance responsibilities of work, school, home, or refer you to other resources on campus. Please recognize that it is in the student’s best interest to develop an on-going relationship with an advisor and not simply to obtain a signature on a registration form.

 On occasion degree requirements will change in a program of study. Once a student has matriculated into a degree program (declared a major), he/she should follow the curriculum as outlined in the year you matriculated into the program. You also have the option of following any subsequent curricula.

 A course may be repeated only twice with the receipt of a grade A-F (meaning it may be taken three times with the receipt of a grade A-F). After the third receipt of an A-F grade in a course, the student would need to request a waiver of the policy.

 In order to add or drop a course, a student must go the Records Office and formally communicate this information to a staff member of the office. A new schedule will then be printed. Please note, if a student is on financial aid, that office must be informed of any added or dropped courses. The Business Office must also be notified of any added courses. If a course is dropped within the first 14 calendar days of the semester a partial reimbursement may occur.

 A student receives a grade of incomplete by an instructor if coursework is missing and the student agrees to complete the requirements. Although a student may request an Incomplete, the faculty member is not required to honor the request. A faculty member should assign an Incomplete when there are extenuating circumstances such as illness that prevent a student from completing the assigned work on time. If an Incomplete is assigned the faculty member will set forth in writing a description of the work to be completed, the date by which the work must be submitted (i.e. the end of the tenth week of the next standard semester) and a statement that the Incomplete will change to a specified letter grade if the work is not completed by the due date. If no make-up grade has been specified the Incomplete will convert to an “F”.

Students are placed on academic probation if they fail to maintain a specific grade point average after completion of a specific number of credit hours. (See the section on Academic Standing in the college catalog.) Students who have been on probation and have not achieved the required grade point average after completing their next 15 credits will be able to attend MxCC on a part-time basis only. A student who has attempted 30 or more credits and whose GPA falls below 1.5 will be dismissed for one academic year. Reinstatement as a student at MxCC must be approved by the Dean of Learning and Student Development.

 A matriculated student is one who is officially enrolled in a degree program at the college (the phrase degree seeking is often used here interchangeably.)

 An open/free elective means that a student may take any credit-bearing course to fill the slot.

 Most courses taken successfully at Middlesex (C- or better) will transfer to bachelor level colleges and universities, minimally as free electives. In order to ensure that the specific courses you select will meet degree/general education requirements at the transfer institution, we recommend that you identify institutions to which you hope to transfer early in your academic career at Middlesex. Always be certain to discuss your course selections with your academic advisor who will help you to determine whether your selections will transfer. In addition the staff of the Career development and Counseling Center is available to work with students on identifying what courses will transfer.

You may also look at our Transfer Planning page at to see how Middlesex courses transfer to state universities.

 A student may transfer at any point in time to a bachelor level university. The college or university you wish to attend will determine the number of credits hours needed to be designated as a transfer student. Many colleges will still require SAT scores if that number is not met. Please refer to the specific college or university you hope to attend to gather this information.

 Most colleges will require a minimum of 24 credit hours toward a degree in order to waive the submission of SAT scores. Please recognize that number may be as high as 60 credit hours. Refer to the college catalog of the transfer institution to determine that answer.

 Residency requirement refers to the minimum number of credit hours that must be completed at an institution. Typically, at a four year institution, this number will vary from 45 to 60 credit hours. Students wishing to earn a degree from MxCC must earn a minimum of 15 credit hours at MxCC in order to receive a degree from this institution. The phrase residency requirement does not mean you have to live at the institution.

 Rolling admissions means that there is no clear application deadline by which a student must apply to the college or university. There is also no date by which all decision (acceptance or non-acceptance) letters are sent to applicants. Students will be notified of the college’s decision regarding their application when the application is complete. The college will also provide applicants with periodic updates as to the status of their application and any additional materials that need to be submitted.

 Most bachelor level colleges have application and/or financial aid application dates. These dates may vary from February 1st forward for Fall admission and October 1st for spring semester admission. It is crucial that you clarify this information early in the transfer process. This information is generally available on a college/university web site, in admissions literature, the college catalog, or by contacting the admissions office.

 A student can not transfer financial aid but needs to apply for aid at the new school. If a student has already completed the FAFSA application then the school code needs to be added to the FAFSA so that the information can be received by the new college. The school code may be added via the web or by contacting the FAFSA processor.

 Most associate degree programs of study require 60-64 credit hours. If a student is full time, taking 15 credit hours toward a degree each semester, it takes approximately two academic years to complete. If a student is full time and taking 12 credit hours per semester, it will lengthen the time needed to complete degree requirements. Taking summer/intersession courses will accelerate the process.

 The college requires all students to take a placement test to assess their current level of proficiency in English, math and reading. The placement test is not used to screen applicants for admission. The results of your placement test will allow your academic adviser to recommend the best courses for you. Please note, if a student has credit from another college for English and math and has forwarded the transcript, he or she does not have to take the placement test.

 In order to be eligible for most forms of financial aid, a student may need to take at least six (6) credit hours. However, some students may quality for aid with only 3 credit hours. Contact the Office of Financial Aid (860)343-5741 for additional information.

 In order to earn credit taken for courses at another institution, you must have official copies of transcripts forwarded to the college’s admissions office. A representative will evaluate those credits and determine their equivalency to Middlesex courses. If they are equivalent, credit will be awarded.

 The staff of the Career Development and Counseling Center may assist students in identifying colleges and universities to which to transfer. The counselors may be able to provide information on transfer equivalencies, major programs of study, application deadline dates and similar types of information. Please stop by the office, Founders Hall, Room 121 or call 860-343-5826 to schedule an appointment. In addition, watch for “Transfer News” bulletins which advise transfer workshops and events.

 Your academic advisor may be well equipped to assist you in evaluating your interests, skills, and values as they pertain to selecting a major. However if your advisor is unsure or you would like additional assistance, please schedule an appointment with a counselor in the Career Development and Counseling Center, Founders Hall, Room 121 or call 860-343-5826 to arrange a time.

 Your academic advisor and you may both chart your progress and know the requirements for your program by following the graduation check list identified for your degree field.

 Currently grades are posted on the Banner on-line system. You may access your grades by going to the following website: If you are unsure of how to access your grades or other information (account status, etc.), instructional brochures may be obtained in the Records Office.