Randi Plake brings a passion for social media and public relations to the marketing team. She has been working in the marketing department since July 2012 and also works part-time as the program assistant for the MxCC’s Center for New Media. She is also an adjunct instructor in the Center for New Media where she teaches COM*120 Social Media.
As communications specialist, Randi is responsible for managing MxCC’s blog and social media accounts, coordinating media outreach, producing promotional videos for the College, and design work. She is also the campus photographer, so you will probably see her at college events with a camera around her neck.
As program assistant for the Center for New Media, Randi supports the director with project administration and student recruiting. She also prepares marketing materials and provides website and social media support for the new Center.
At MxCC, Randi is active on the Information Resources Management (IRM) Committee. She was also instrumental in the creation of the COM*120 Social Media and COM*201 Introduction to Public Relations classes. This year, she was honored as a Friend of the Library by the library staff.
Before joining MxCC, Randi strategically used social media for clients at a boutique PR agency in Farmington. During her time at the agency, Randi also worked on many different PR campaigns for clients in industries such as small businesses, retail brands, and nonprofits. Prior to that, Randi assisted with media relations efforts for Jewelrs of America, a national trade association for the jewelry industry.
While working towards her master’s degree, Randi worked as a graduate assistant in both the PR department and graduate admissions department at Quinnipiac University, which sparked her passion for higher education.
Besides a specialty in social media, she also has a concentration in crisis management. She holds a bachelor’s degree in marketing from Central Connecticut State University and a master’s degree in public relations from Quinnipiac University.
Besides enjoying every minute at MxCC, Randi also loves riding bikes with her husband Brendan, her cats Rascal and Sherlock, running, and photography. She also spends most of her free time at her church where she co-leads the children’s ministry and co-directs the youth group with her husband.
Conference Participation & Papers
- Iaco Plake, R. & Krodel, H. (2011). Ask Helena. Diamond Pulse, 28.
- Iaco Plake, R. (2011) Creating a church crisis management plan. Unpublished master’s thesis. Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT.
- Iaco Plake, R. (2011) Who owns social media? A look inside university Facebook pages. International Conference on Learning and Administration in Higher Education 2011. Nashville, TN. May 25-27, 2011.
- Plake, R. (2012) Using social media to market continuing education. Continuing Education Join Council Meeting. Norwich, CT. November 16, 2012.
- Plake, R., Fussell Sisco, H., & Collins, E. (2013, August). Relying on Divine Intervention? An Analysis of Church Crisis Management Plans. Poster presentation at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Conference, Washington, D.C.