May 10, 2013 – The Middlesex Community College Foundation, Inc., hosted its annual Scholarship Reception and presented awards to 49 students, at a May 10 ceremony on campus. The scholarships are funded by donations from individuals, businesses, service and civic organizations, alumni, and charitable foundations and by proceeds from special Foundation events, notably the Red Moon Festival, the $cholarship 5K road race and the MxCC Classic golf tournament.
All winners were selected by members of the Foundation’s Scholarship Committee, who reviewed completed applications and ensured all criteria was met. Students received their awards, which totaled more than $38,000 combined.
“We are thankful that the community has come together to reward the hard work and dedication of our students,” said Dr. Anna Wasescha, president of MxCC. “We are also grateful to the MxCC Foundation and their efforts throughout the year to raise funds, build awareness, and raise support for our students.”
The Foundation awards scholarships each spring semester to qualifying students. New this year, scholarships were available to incoming students.
“Scholarship Night is a highlight of the academic year,” said Professor Donna Leonowich, chair of the Foundation Scholarship Committee. “It brings the entire campus community—Middlesex Community College Foundation Corporators, the scholarship donors, the administration, faculty, staff, students, and their support network together. All understand the value and importance of education, and all work together to make MxCC the college of our community.”
Scholarships and recipients were:
· Altrusa Club International, Inc. of Connecticut Scholarship awarded to Susan Owens of Middletown.
· Rowland and Ruth Beaulieu Business Administration Scholarships awarded to Jackelyn Orellana of Meriden.
· Robert A. Chapman Annual Scholarship awarded to Kathryn Inferrera of Middletown.
· Hugh and Judith Cox Scholarship awarded to Naadu Ajoka-Nartey of Middletown and Nicole Aston of West Hartford.
· Catherine L. Dennis Endowed Scholarship awarded to Alicia McCoy of Middletown.
· The Edie Fuld Annual Scholarship awarded to Susan Owens of Middletown.
· The Mahatma Gandhi Annual Scholarship awarded to Halima El idrissi of Middletown.
· The Paul L. Jones Foundation Scholarships awarded to Katherine Beyer of Middletown, Anastasia Bianchi of Berlin, Maura Burns of East Haddam, Britteny Foster of East Haven, Kelimer Huertas of Meriden, Ryan McKeon of Clinton, Erin Peabody of Salem, and Yeshi Tsomo of East Lyme.
· Nihla & Bob Lapidus Scholarships awarded to Afua Apprey and Katherine Beyer of Middletown, Anastasia Bianchi of Berlin, Maura Burns of East Haddam, Daniel Field of East Hampton, Kelimer Huertas of Meriden, Ryan McKeon of Clinton, Erin Peabody of Salem, and Yeshi Tsomo of East Lyme.
· Liberty Bank Foundation Scholarships awarded to Suzanne Busque, Michael D’Amico, and Nicole Murphy of Meriden, Carrie Connors, Steven DiStefano, and Linnea Strickland of Middletown, Sister Xinia Rodriguez of Norwich, Shavandalice Davis of New Britain, Lauren Page of Wallingford, and Bradley Samodel of Clinton.
· Lisa Massita Scholarship awarded to Janette Hawkes of Middletown.
· Mayor’s Scholarship awarded to Anastasiia Osadchuk of Middletown.
· Melvin–Zaffino Scholarship awarded to Faith Mendoza of Meriden.
· Middlesex Community College Faculty Scholarship awarded to Danielle Barron of Clinton.
· Middlesex Community College, Inc. Foundation Scholarships awarded to Caitlin Courtney of Old Lyme.
· MILE Scholarships awarded to Cimarron Crouse of Westport, Diana Davis of Meriden, and Hong Reilley of Madison.
· The Dean Richard Muniz Family Scholarship awarded to Danezia Cordero of Meriden.
· Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship awarded to Danielle Barron of Clinton and Kathryn Inferrera of Middletown.
· Pratt & Whitney Scholarships awarded to Randy Guartas of Meriden, Elizabeth Giguere and Mariel Nowack of Middletown.
· Record-Journal Scholarship awarded to Jennie Morenz of Meriden.
· Rotary Club of Middletown Scholarship awarded for Valarie Williams of Cromwell.
· Jesse J. Salafia Nursing Award awarded to Courtney Bugden of Westbrook.
· Martha Sanner Award awarded to Delfina Rosario of South Meriden.
· Susan M. Smart Memorial Scholarship awarded to Peter Woolard of Haddam.
· Philip and Amy Wheaton Memorial Scholarship awarded to Ebony Beall and Takisha Bryant of Middletown and Giustina Schiano-DiCola of Meriden.
· Charles & Rachel Wiltsie Scholarship awarded to Gregory Schneider of Middletown.
Founded in 1966, Middlesex Community College (mxcc.edu) is part of the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. In all it does, Middlesex Community College strives to be the college of its community. By providing high quality, affordable, and accessible education to a diverse population, the college enhances the strengths of individuals through degree, certificate, and lifelong learning programs that lead to university transfer, employment, and an enriched awareness of our shared responsibilities as global citizens. MxCC, recently named a “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education, offers more than 50 degree or certificate programs at the main 38-acre campus in Middletown, the downtown Meriden Center, and online.