Aug 7, 2014 – The Middlesex Community College Foundation, Inc. has awarded six mini grants totaling $9,437 to MxCC faculty and staff. The grants are presented by the Foundation’s New Day Fund which supports innovative and evidence-based projects that advance MxCC’s strategic goals and student success. This is the second year the Foundation has awarded grants of this type.
- Preserve Our History: MxCC Library Archives and Digitization Project: $1,000 was awarded to help organize and digitize the MxCC college archives which include photographs, past presidents’ personal papers, student publications, newspapers, yearbooks, etc. The project will make MxCC history accessible for new audiences.
- Raw: Middlesex Community College Memoirs: $1,200 was awarded to help publish powerful, “raw” accounts of students’ personal struggles and triumphs. These works will be used in future human services, psychology and English composition courses to encourage future students to share their own stories.
- Transitional Year Program: $1,000 was awarded to help fund TYP orientation and graduation events, marketing materials, and welcome packages/survival guides for students in the program. TYP was designed as a college readiness program to help bridge the gap between high school and college.
- Assistive Technology: $2,072 was awarded to help purchase three types of assistive technology (digital voice recorders, Smartpens, and iPads) that will be available for loan to MxCC students with disabilities. The goal is to provide equal access and opportunity to students with disabilities to make the transition to college less stressful and to provide a foundation for future success.
- Technology Showcase: Engaging the 21st Century User: $350 was awarded to help organize a second conference which will bring faculty and staff from institutions of higher education from all over Connecticut together to share ideas and technology tools with their peers. The conference includes a keynote speaker and demonstrations that help enhance student learning and success both in and out of the classroom.
- Mobile Technology for Math: $3,815 was awarded to help fund a new, legislatively mandated, approach to restructuring curriculum to encourage connections between mathematical concepts. A facet of this approach includes the purchase of iPads and laptop for students to utilize while problem solving and presenting within the classroom. This helps foster the active and collaborative learning essential for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and retention.
A New Day Fund Committee reviewed and approved the mini-grants that were proposed by both individuals and teams. The approval committee included faculty member Donna Leonowich, Professor of Business; Kim Hogan, director of Finance and Administration; and Richard Muniz, Foundation board member. This Fund is made possible by the generosity of donors who support the MxCC Foundation and its fundraising efforts that recognize and encourage academic achievement and student success. The Foundation funds scholarships, program and faculty development, campus and classroom enhancements, and instructional technology.
Founded in 1966, Middlesex Community College (mxcc.edu) is part of the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. In all it does, Middlesex Community College strives to be the college of its community. By providing high quality, affordable, and accessible education to a diverse population, the college enhances the strengths of individuals through degree, certificate, and lifelong learning programs that lead to university transfer, employment, and an enriched awareness of our shared responsibilities as global citizens. MxCC, recently named a “Great College to Work For” by “The Chronicle of Higher Education,” offers more than 50 degree or certificate programs at the main 38-acre campus in Middletown, the downtown Meriden Center, the shoreline, and online.