The Middlesex Community College Foundation hosted its annual Scholarship Reception and presented 64 scholarships to students at a May 9 ceremony on campus. The scholarships are funded by donations from individuals, businesses, service and civic organizations, alumni, and charitable foundations and by proceeds from special Foundation events, notably the Red Moon Festival, the $cholarship 5K road race and the MxCC Classic golf tournament.
“We are so pleased that the community came together to recognize these hardworking and dedicated students,” said Dr. Anna Wasescha, president of MxCC. “Scholarships help our students pay their college costs and they also reflect their outstanding academic accomplishments. We are very grateful to the Middlesex Community College Foundation for raising support for our students throughout the year.”
The Foundation awards scholarships each spring semester to qualifying students. All winners were selected by members of the Foundation’s Scholarship Committee, who reviewed completed applications and ensured all criteria were met. This year, the Foundation awarded more than $47,650 in scholarships.
“Providing the financial support that students need to achieve their goals is the primary objective of the Middlesex Community College Foundation,” said H. Brian Dumeer, chairman of the MxCC Foundation. “These scholarships are made possible by fundraising events throughout the year and the generous contributions of donors who want to recognize and reward these dedicated and deserving students. Investing in educational opportunities and students is an investment that enriches us all.”
Scholarships and recipients were:
- Altrusa Club International, Inc. of Connecticut Scholarship awarded to Melissa Rushford of Middletown.
- Rowland and Ruth Beaulieu Business Administration Scholarships awarded to Annabelle Mead of Chester.
- The Beaulieu Manufacturing and Machine Technology Scholarship awarded to Lisa Fitzsimmons of Old Saybrook.
- Robert A. Chapman Annual Scholarship awarded to Samuel Bolton of Middle Haddam, Robert Smigel of Higganum, and Amy White of Guilford.
- Hugh and Judith Cox Scholarship awarded to Rhode Carrion of Middletown and Elena Doshchitsyna of Waterbury.
- Catherine L. Dennis Endowed Scholarship awarded to Sara Kaiser of Cromwell.
- The Eames Family Endowed Scholarship awarded to Melissa Hall of Meriden.
- The Edie Fuld Annual Scholarship awarded to Kacie Harris of Middletown.
- The Paul L. Jones Foundation Scholarships awarded to Anastasia Bianchi of Berlin, Brendan Gavin and Carol Milevschi of Bristol, Kelimer Huertas, Colleen Ouelette and Paulina Wiaderski of Meriden, Jamie Mailhot of Watertown, Ryan McKeon of Clinton, Jessica Mullaney of Middletown, and Erin Peabody of Salem.
- Nihla & Bob Lapidus Scholarships awarded to Rocco Morgan of Northford, Morgan Perry of Higganum, and Angela Puccinelli of Middletown.
- Liberty Bank Foundation Scholarships awarded to Jessica Grote of Deep River, Alexis Morosky of Middletown, Evan Ochoa of Middletown, Nikole Paradis of Moodus, and Crysta Sullivan of Killingworth.
- Lisa Massita Scholarship awarded to Delfina Rosario of Meriden.
- Mayor’s Scholarship awarded to Anne Cyril of Middletown.
- Melvin–Zaffino Scholarship awarded to Laila Alhalabi of Middletown.
- Middlesex Community College Faculty Scholarship awarded to Rebecca Dow of Preston and Kendel Souza of Middletown.
- Middlesex Community College, Inc. Foundation Scholarships awarded to Ashley Bellamo of Cromwell and Noah and Benjamin Radcliff of Meriden.
- The MILE Scholarship awarded to Ebony Beal of Middletown.
- The Dean Richard Muniz Family Scholarship awarded toDiana Gonzalez of Meriden.
- The Peach Pit Foundation Scholarship awarded to Christine Adams of Middletown and Christopher Misenti of Middletown.
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship awarded to Lindsay Grote of Deep River and Tonya Salyerds of Middletown.
- Pratt & Whitney Scholarships awarded to Michelle Trizarry of Clinton and Alain Tshipamba of Middletown.
- Record-Journal Scholarship awarded to Beatrice Mays of Meriden.
- Rotary Club of Middletown Scholarship awarded to Evan Barcello of Middletown and Heather Eng of Higganum.
- Jesse J. Salafia Nursing Award awarded to Timothy Wendeborn of New Britain.
- Martha DePecol-Sanner Award awarded to Caitlin Courtney of Old Lyme, Violet Gagnon of Berlin, Juliann Holzer of Madison, Sehar Iftikhar of Middletown, and Elizabeth Santiago of Meriden.
- Susan M. Smart Memorial Scholarship awarded to Naadu Adjoka-Nartey of Middletown.
- The Veterinary Technology Scholarship awarded to Alycia Bosco of Berlin.
- The Gandhi Annual Scholarship awarded to Jean Mathon of Deep River and Barbara McKoy of Middletown.
- The Founders Endowed Scholarship awarded to A.S.M. Rahman of Middletown.
- The Alumni Endowed Scholarship awarded to Gregorio A. Rodriguez of Middletown.
- The Boris Burack Endowed Scholarship awarded toLisa Sandersof Middletown.
- Philip and Amy Wheaton Memorial Scholarship awarded to Christine Amuso of Newington and Nichole Szymaszek of Westbrook.
- Charles & Rachel Wiltsie Scholarship awarded to Melissa Nickolson of Higganum.