Purpose of the Assessment
The Basic Skills Assessment (Accuplacer) was developed by the College Board to provide information about your skill level in English, reading, and mathematics. By assessing your levels in these areas, the BSA will help to determine the reading, writing, and math courses that are most appropriate for you at this time. These results will be used in the course selection and advising process.
Once your application to the college has been processed, you will receive an acceptance letter from the Admissions Office with your student identification number, called the Banner ID. This ID is required in order to take the basic skills assessment. If you have not yet applied, please refer to our Admissions Page.
After receiving your Banner ID, you should:
- Read: Read the Frequently Asked Questions on the “Accuplacer FAQ” page to familiarize yourself with the entire process.
- Review: Take the sample tests and use the study sites on the “Test Preparation” page so that you are sure to do your best.
- Schedule: Look at the dates we are testing, pick one that works for you, and make an appointment.
- Score: Come in well rested and prepared to do your best on assessment day!
Who Must Take the BSA
MxCC requires skill assessments in English and mathematics before students enroll in math, reading, or writing courses, courses with any math or English prerequisites, or enroll in an academic program. ALL High School Partnership Program students must take the full BSA regardless of SAT/ACT scores.
Test exemptions are as follows:
- Students who have an associate degree or higher
- Students who have completed college level mathematics and English
- Part-time and non-degree students who have not accumulated 12 credit hours, unless they wish to take an English or math class, or a course that requires a math or English prerequisite.
- SAT Scores: Students who have taken the math and verbal portions of the SAT within the past four years may receive a waiver from the Basic Skills Assessment Test.
- Math: A score of 501-550 will place a student into MAT*137, and a score of 551 will place a student into a math course with a prerequisite of MAT*137 such as MAT*146, MAT*168 or MAT*173.
- English: A score of 500 on the Critical Reading portions of the SAT will place a student into ENG*101.
- ACT Scores: Students who have taken the math and verbal portions of the ACT within the past four years may receive a waiver from the Basic Skills Assessment.
- Math: A score of 19 – 21 on the ACT Math test will place a student into MAT*137, and a score of 22 or higher on the ACT Math test will place a student into a math course with a prerequisite of MAT*137 such as MAT*146, MAT*168 or MAT*173. However, we strongly encourage students to take the placement test since they may place into a higher-level course.
- English: A score of 20 or higher on the ACT Reading portion or a score of 47 or higher on the ACT English and Reading portions will place a student into ENG*101.
If you believe that you are exempt from the placement test, please contact the Admissions Office at 860.343.5719 or the College Learning Center at 860.343.5770.