Career Development and Counseling Center
The Career Development and Counseling Center provides comprehensive career, academic, transfer and guidance services for all MxCC students. Professional counselors are available to assist students with a wide range of questions and concerns throughout their academic careers. Among the services available to students are:
Career Counseling/Personal Guidance
- Assistance in selecting a career or major
- Information on self-assessment and career alternatives
- Access to computerized interactive guidance systems
- Critique on resumes and cover letters
- Support in interviewing techniques and job strategy preparation
- Information on labor market trends
- Support for college adjustment issues
Academic Advising and Transfer Assistance
- Assistance with course and program selection
- Information on transfer articulation agreements
- Support in identifying and selecting four-year colleges and universities
- Opportunities to meet with college and university representatives at the Annual Transfer Fair
- Access to the Career Library with holdings on other schools as well as career and scholarship information.
- Access to summer, full and part-time employment listings
- Information on internship opportunities
The Career Development and Counseling Center is located inFounders Hall, Room 121. Click Career Development and Counseling Center on theMxCC web site to learn more about our services.Students also are encouraged to stop by the office or call 860-343-5826 to schedule an appointment.
Insurance for Students
All full and part-time students enrolled in credit courses are automatically covered under the School Time Only Accident Insurance Plan.Full and part-time students are eligible to subscribe to the Optional 24-HourAccident and Sickness Insurance Plan. In addition, students who elect Accident and Sickness Insurance may also enroll their eligible dependents. Complete details regarding student insurance are available in the office of the Dean of Students.
The Student Activities Office (SAO) brings enrichment,involvement and fun to the MxCC campus!The office works with the Student Senate, campus clubs and organizations to assist in the administration and planning of co-curricular activities designed to enhance the classroom experience and promote student leadership development. SAO staff organizes educational, cultural, social and recreational programming in accordance with student interest and involvement, and is funded largely by student activity fees.Programs have included hosting speakers and performers, organizing state capitol and museum excursions, day trips to Boston and New York, art shows and theatre and many other special events. The SAO promotes civic engagement through blood drives, voter registration efforts, community service programs, food and clothing drives and fundraising to support area charitable organizations.
Collegiate student clubs and organizations include the Journalism, Veteran’s, Creative Writing, Math and Computer clubs, HumanServices Student Association, Phi Theta Kappa, and S.P.E.A.K., the college’s GLBTQ alliance.Club activity levels vary with student interest and students may propose new clubs on campus anytime throughout the academic year.
Students are encouraged to participate in campus activities,assist in New Student Orientation and assume leadership roles that foster skill building, campus connections and educational enrichment.
Student Retention Services
Student Retention Services assists students who need one- on-one attention while enrolled at the college and those struggling with issues that could interfere with their attendance and/or progress at the college. Our student retention specialists can assist you with the following:
- Help with specific academic issues (test-taking, time management, etc)
- Effective study skills and learning strategies
- Assessing barriers & creating an academic success plan
- Academic Advising
- Exploration of career and degree options
- Referral to other appropriate campus resources
For more information, or to schedule an appointment, call the Meriden Center at 203-608-3017 or the main campus at 860-343-5715.
The Senate, an annually elected assembly of students who represent the entire student body, functions as an advocate for the interests of MxCC students in its dealings with the college faculty, staff and administration.Using funds collected through student activity fees, the Student Senate provides financial support for campus clubs and organizations as well as for on and off campus events and programs. Members of Senate, as well as any interested student may also serve on committees at the college including the College Council, standing committees and other ad-hoc committees.Located in Founders Hall, the Student Senate meets weekly to plan programs and address campus and system-wide issues affecting students.
All interested students are encouraged to visit the office,call 860-343-5748 and visit the college website for more detailed information.
Students interested in applying for veterans’ benefits should contact the Veterans’ Certifying Official at 860-343-5720. On an average, approximately 125 veterans receive benefits each semester.
This page was updated 7/10/17