Middlesex Community College admits individuals for both fall and spring terms on a full or part-time basis. Applicants may apply as either a degree or non-degree seeking student.

The following selective programs require personal interviews, recommendations, and/or a special academic background:

  • Human Services
  • Radiologic Technology
  • Ophthalmic Design and Dispensing
  • Broadcast/Cinema
  • Veterinary Technology

Admissions requirements vary for these selective programs; please contact the Admissions Office, 860-343-5719, for information about these programs and application instructions.

Requirements for Degree Seeking Students:

  1. Submit an application to the Admissions Office with a copy of your high school diploma, transcripts or GED. Students without a high school diploma should contact the Admissions Office, 860-343-5719, and meet with the Director of Admissions to discuss your options.
  2. Pay the one-time college application fee of $20.00 (non-refundable).
  3. Provide documentation that you have been immunized (two doses) against measles, mumps and rubella. See the policy, “Measles/Mumps/Rubella/Varicella (MMRV) Immunization Requirement, below for details and exemption information.
  4. Take the College Basic Skills Assessment. Please see the section “Placement Testing-Basic Skills Assessment” on the next page for details and exemption information.

Requirements for Non-Degree Seeking Students:

Complete steps 1 and 2 noted above. Depending on your educational background, the courses you are interested in taking and/or their prerequisites, you may have to take theCollege Basic Skill Assessment. Please see the section Placement Testing- Basic Skills Assessment, on the next page for details and exemption information. Application materials should be sent to:

The Admissions Office
Middlesex Community College
100 Training Hill Road
Middletown, CT 06457


Admission of Current High School Students

Applicants currently attending high school are asked to submit their application materials (application and official copy of transcript) through their Guidance Office. Upon graduation, a copy of the high school diploma or a final transcript must be forwarded to the Admissions Office. You may apply as either a full- or part-time, non-degree seeking student. Please refer to the appropriate degree category above for instructions.

High School Partnership Program
Middlesex Community College has signed agreements with many area high schools which permit eligible high school juniors and seniors to enroll in general fund supported credit courses at no cost. In order to participate in the college’sHigh School Partnership Program, students must:

  • Have at least a “B” average
  • Be in the top 20 percent of their class
  • Have the written recommendation of their principal or designated representative
  • Submit an admissions application, an official high school transcript, and a High School Partnership application form
  • Take the Basic Skills Assessment

For additional information contact the Admissions Office, 860-343-5719.

College Career Pathways
Middlesex Community College has articulation agreements with several secondary education institutions. The College Career Pathways Program enables high school students to enroll in articulated high school academic,business and career courses for possible college credit, at no cost, upon successful completion of high school courses.College Career Pathways students may earn up to twelve college credits for their high school courses of study. For additional information about the College Career PathwaysProgram call Prof. Donna Leonowich, 860-343-5762.

Other High School/Home Schooled Students
Middlesex Community College will accept for early admission to the College outstanding high school-age students that demonstrate sufficient academic ability and maturity. Students may register for credit courses (according to placement test results), but are considered non-degree seeking. Upon completion of high school, students may move to degree-seeking status. To qualify for this program, students must: Demonstrate sufficient academic ability as evidenced by high school grades and the results of the College’s Basic SkillsAssessment (or SAT scores)

  • Provide a written recommendation by their principal or guidance counselor
  • Include a current, official copy of the applicant’s high school transcript with the College application
  • Meet with the Director of Admissions prior to registering

Applicants may request a personal interview at any time by contacting theAdmissions Office at 860-343-5719 for an appointment. As part of the enrollment process, interviews are required for high school students seeking early admission, all home-schooled students, and individuals interested in certain selective degree programs (see list under Admissions).

Placement Testing – Basic Skills Assessment

Purpose of the Assessment
Before a student enrolls in academic programs, the College requires a BasicSkills Assessment (BSA) in mathematics, reading and English. The College uses the Computerized Placement Test (CPT) developed by the College Board to provide information about a student’s level of accomplishment in these areas,and to help ensure a student’s success in college. Academic advisors also use the BSA results when defining the appropriate level of course work for each student.

Who Must Take the Basic Skills Assessment?
The College requires all full-time and part-time students, and those enrolled in a degree or certificate program, take the BSA. In addition, non-degree seeking students, all high school partnership, as well as home-school students seeking early admission to the college, are required to take the BSA. Exemptions to this requirement are:

  • Students who already possess an associate degree or higher
  • Students who have completed college level mathematics and English (unofficial transcripts required)

Students who believe they are exempt from the BSA should contact the Admissions Office at 860-343-5719.

Administration of the Computerized Placement Test for the Basic Skills Assessment
The CPTs are administered on a personal computer. Students follow the instructions and questions on the computer monitor and select answers using the keyboard or mouse. No computer experience is necessary and assistance is available.

After applying to MxCC, a student can make an appointment to take the BSA at the College Learning Center, located in the lower level of Chapman Hall. Call 860-343-5770 in Middletown, or 203-238-6202 for the Meriden Center. Students with special needs can make arrangements through the Learning Specialist by calling 860-343-5879.

ACT Scores and the BSA

Math:Students who have taken the math portion of the ACT within the last two years may receive a waiver from the Math Placement (BSA) Test. A score of18-21 will place the student into MAT* 137, and a score of 22 or higher will place the student into a math course with a prerequisite of MAT* 137, such asMAT* 146, 168, or 173. However, we strongly encourage these students to take the placement test since they may place into a higher course.

English: Students who have taken the English portion(s) of the ACT within the last two years may receive a waiver from the English Placement (BSA)Test. A score of 21 or higher on the ACT English portion or a score of 47or higher on the ACT English and Reading portions will place a student intoENG* 101.

SAT Scores and the BSA

Math: Students who have taken the math portion of the SAT within the last two years may receive a waiver from the Math Placement (BSA) Test. A score of 500-549 will place the student into MAT* 137, and a score of 550 or higher will place the student into a math course with a prerequisite of MAT* 137, such as MAT* 146, 168, or173. However, we strongly encourage these students to take the placement test since they may place into a higher course.

English: Students who have taken the verbal portions of the SAT within the past two years and have achieved a score of 450 on either theCritical Reading or Writing portions of the SAT will be placed into ENG* 101.

Advanced Placement Scores

Students who scored a 3 or higher on their high school Advanced Placement (AP) courses may receive college credit through MxCC’s College Entrance Examination Board’s Advanced PlacementProgram. Official scores should be submitted to the Office of Admissions for consideration. When credit is awarded, it is entered on the student’s college transcript, but the grade is not included in the college grade point average.

Measles/Mumps/Rubella/Varicella (MMRV) ImmunizationRequirement

In order to minimize both the school and state-wide health impact of measles, the Connecticut Legislature passed SHB 7171 AAC Proof ofImmunization Against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella for Certain Persons at Institutions of Higher Education. This law, which became effective July 1,1989, states that if an individual was born after December 31, 1956 and enrolls as a part-time or full-time matriculated student at an institution of higher education in Connecticut, the individual must present either a certificate of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella, or laboratory evidence demonstrating said immunity. Students will not be permitted to register without proper State immunization documentation.
Exemptions to this requirement include:

  • Individuals born before January 1, 1957
  • Laboratory confirmation of immunity to such disease
  • Documentation from a physician stating that the student is medically contraindicated from receiving such vaccine
  • Documentation from the student that such immunization is contrary to his/her religious beliefs
  • Documentation from a physician or director of health that the student has had a confirmed case of such disease

Adequate Immunization: 

Students must have two (2) doses of each of the following vaccine administered at least one (1) month apart to ensure adequate immunization: 

  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella: Two doses administered at least one month apart.
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox): Two doses or provide certification from physician that student has had disease. Students born in the United States before 1980 are exempt from the Varicella requirement.

A student’s health and that of the campus community depend upon compliance with this legislation. For additional information, contact the Dean of Students at 860-343-5759.

Transfer Students

Students wishing to transfer from other institutions of higher education to MxCC must comply with the application requirements for admission into a degree program outlined above(see Application to Degree Programs). In addition, transfer students, wishing to transfer course work completed at another college or university or by CLEP, must request an official transcript of previous college work from that institution. This transcript must be sent (hand-carried documents will not be accepted) to the Admissions Office at MxCC. For transfer credit, a course must either correspond to one offered at the college or be pertinent to a specific program.

The Board of Regents Policy on Transfer

At all community colleges, degree and certificate credit shall be granted only for credit courses completed at all institutions within the Connecticut State System of Higher Education and at all other collegiate institutions accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for HigherEducation Accreditation as either a Regional Accrediting Organization or aSpecialized and Professional Accrediting Organizations in accordance with the following:

  1. Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for all credit courses that are applicable to the objectives of, or equivalent to the course requirements of, the curriculum in which the transferring student enrolls. Credit work that is not applicable or equivalent to curriculum requirements shall be accepted for credit at the discretion of the college. Degree and certificate credit shall also be granted on the basis of performance on examinations in accordance with standards and limits approved by the board of regents.
  2. Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for credit courses completed with a letter grade of “C-” or better, or with a grade of “P” (Pass). Such credit courses shall be accepted only for credit, and letter grades assigned by other institutions shall not be recorded or included in computations of student grade point averages.
  3. Notwithstanding the number of degree or certificate credits which shall be granted in accordance with the foregoing, the student must complete at least 25 percent of the minimum credit requirements for the degree or certificate through course work at the college awarding the degree or certificate.
  4. When a student seeks transfer credit for technical or specialty courses into a program that is also accredited by a national or regional specialized accrediting agency, such credits must be from a comparably accredited program. In the case of a request for transfer credit for technical or specialty courses from a non-specially accredited program, the college shall provide appropriate means for the validation of the student’s competency in the technical specialty course areas.
  5. This policy shall appear in all college catalogs.


Veterans should follow the application procedures as outlined. In addition, veterans who are eligible to receive educational benefits must bring a copy of their DD-214 (separation papers) to the CollegeVeterans Office, as well as their VA file-claim number if previous benefits have been received. Married veterans must also submit a copy of the marriage certificate and birth certificates of any children when applying for educational benefits.In order to receive a tuition waiver, eligible veterans must submit a copy of their DD-214 to the Business Office.

A veteran of the Armed Forces who served on active duty during time of war is entitled to a waiver of General Fund tuition provided that the veteran:

  1. Received an honorable discharge
  2. Is a resident of Connecticut at the time he/she is accepted for admission to the college
  3. Served at least ninety (90) days of active duty during any of the following U.S conflicts: World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Lebanon, Grenada, Operation Earnest Will, and Desert Storm. Note: Training, National Guard, and Reserve time are excluded.

Veterans are responsible for notifying the Records Office and the VeteransOffice when any change of status occurs (add/drop courses, birth of child,etc.), as well as at the beginning of each academic year. All fees must be paid as they are due unless arrangements have been made in advance with the Director of Financial Aid.


Former MxCC students who have been absent for more than two years and who wish to be considered for readmission to the College, should complete a Readmit Application form from theRecords Office. If the student attended another college during his/her absence from MxCC, he/she must request that an official transcript be forwarded to theAdmissions Office at Middlesex. Students who apply for readmission do not pay an application fee if previously paid.

Fresh Start

The Fresh Start Policy allows students who have not attended college for a period of two or more years and who have a poor academic record to refresh their Grade Point Average (GPA) and develop a more favorable academic record. Students accepted for enrollment under Fresh Start will return in the status of academic probation.

All grades previously earned will remain on the student’s transcript. The semesters for which Fresh Start is invoked will include a transcript symbol indicating that the policy is in effect. The original GPA will not be included in any subsequent computation of the new GPA. In accordance with the system policy on transfer grades, if the Fresh Start option is approved,the student will receive credit for courses with a grade of “C-” or above, including “P” (Pass). Keep in mind:

  • The Fresh Start option can be used only once
  • The Fresh Start option does not apply to any completed degree or certificate 
  • A student must complete a minimum of 15 credits after returning to college under the Fresh Start option to be eligible for a degree or certificate, and for graduation honors

Senior Citizens

Senior citizens must follow the same application procedures as all other students. Legislation requires that all senior citizens (62 or older) who wish to apply for tuition and fee waivers must enroll at the end of the regular registration periods on a space available basis. Call the Admissions Office at 860-343-5719 for additional information.

Foreign Students

Foreign students must complete and submit an I-20 (foreign student visa) when seeking admission to the College. The following documents must be submitted to the Admissions Office by July 1 for the fall term and by November 1 for the spring term. All documents must be translated into English and validated or notarized as being an accurate and official translation. An I-20 cannot be issued until all items noted below have been submitted to the Admissions Office:

  • Completed application and $20 (U.S. application fee)
  • Proof of completion of secondary school (high school), in the form of official transcripts or diploma. Foreign students who have completed university level studies in their home country must have their academic records evaluated to U.S. academic equivalencies if they wish to apply any of their previous work to their MxCC degree program. Information regarding the evaluation of foreign credits is available through the Admissions Office.
  • Results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) exam, unless English is the only official language of their home country. Currently, the minimum required TOEFL score is 500. Information about the TOEFL test is available at American Embassies, consulates and offices of the United States Information Service.
  • Affidavit of support (DHS form I-134)
  • Notarized bank statement and other relevant financial documents (in English with currency values in U.S. dollar equivalencies)
  • Proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella; two doses are required with a least one dose being given after 1980 (per Connecticut State law)
  • Proof of their intended housing/living arrangement while attending MxCC (as housing is not available on-campus)
  • Copy of valid passport

After acceptance to the College, and upon arrival on campus, applicants must take the Basic Skills Assessment (BSA) in mathematics, reading and English. This Computerized Placement Test (CPT) provides information about the student’s level of accomplishment in mathematics, reading and English. Please refer to Placement Testing- Basic Skills Assessment.

If there are any questions, please contact: The Admissions Office, MiddlesexCommunity College, 100 Training Hill Road, Middletown, CT 06457. Phone:860-343-5719.

Students with Disabilities

MxCC is committed to excellence and accessibility in education for all students. The College provides an equal educational opportunity to students with disabilities under section 504 of theRehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA, 1990). MxCC strives to provide students with disabilities the opportunity to receive a positive college experience.

Students with disabilities who may require special accommodations should contact the Office of Disability Support Services (D.S.S.) at 860-343-5879.Students are also encouraged to disclose their disability to the LearningSpecialist upon notification of admission to the college. Disclosure of a documented disability will enable the support staff to provide assistance with the Basic Skills Assessment, program planning, course scheduling, and classroom accommodations appropriate to the individual’s needs. Instructors are under no obligation to provide accommodations unless the student has disclosed the nature of the disability to the designated service provider on campus. The college reserves the right to determine the nature and extent of the accommodations provided.

MxCC strives to provide services within the guidelines and spirit of theAmerican with Disabilities Act.

Students in need of ambulatory assistance should contact the Office of the Dean of Administration at 860-343-5704, so that emergency evacuation plans can be made. The individual student is responsible for personal service attendant.

Students with Medical Problems

Students are responsible for notifying the Dean of Students and instructors of any chronic medical problem.Through this process, faculty and administration can better provide services for students with such medical problems.

New England Regional Student Program

The New England Board of HigherEducation’s Tuition Break provides a discount on out-of-state tuition toConnecticut residents when they enroll in approved degree programs at specific state colleges and universities in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, RhodeIsland or Vermont. Connecticut residents are eligible for these degree programs, because they are not offered by any Connecticut state colleges or universities.

Visit www.nebhe.org/tuitionbreak for details.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

    1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official [colleges may specify further if they wish], written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
    2. The right to request amendment of an education record that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask an appropriate College official to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. The student should write to the College official, clearly identify the part of the record he or she wants changed, and specify why he/she believes it is inaccurate. The College will notify the student of the decision. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. NOTE: FERPA is not intended to provide a process to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. For example, the right of challenge does not allow a student to contest a grade in a course because the student believes that a higher grade should have been assigned.
    3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. FERPA permits disclosure without consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A ‘school official’ includes but is not limited to the following: a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including law enforcement and security personnel, counseling and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent or official of the National Student Clearinghouse); a person serving on the Board of Regents who is authorized to act on its behalf; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities.

FERPA also permits disclosure of education records without consent in connection with, but not limited to:

  • To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena;
  • To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency;
  • To officials of another school, upon request, in which the student seeks or intends to enroll;
  • In connection with a student’s request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid;
  • To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, to state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs;
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions;
  • To organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the College;
  • The results of an institutional disciplinary proceeding against the alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence to the alleged victim of that crime with respect to that crime.
  • Directory information as defined in the policy of the Board of Regents.
  1. The right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information about the student, except to school officials with a legitimate educational interest and others as indicated in paragraph 3 above. To do so, a student exercising this right must notify the Office of Registrar in writing [location to be inserted by each College]. Once filed, this notification becomes a permanent part of the student’s record until the student instructs the College,in writing, to remove it.
  2. 5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department ofEducation concerning alleged failures by Colleges to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Student Directory Information

The Board of Regents has designated the following as directory information: student names and addresses, dates of attendance, full vs. part-time student status, awards, programs of study/major, and honors and graduation date. For purposes of access by military recruiters only, telephone listings and, if known, age,level of education and major are also designated as directory information.

Colleges may disclose directory information without prior consent, unless a student has exercised the right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information in accordance with paragraph 4 above.

Access to Student Information by MilitaryRecruiters

Section 514B of the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997 (the ‘Solomon Amendment’) requires, as a condition of receipt of federal funds, that educational institutions provide military recruiters with access to the following information with respect to students who are 17 years of age or older and enrolled at the covered institution:

  • Student name
  • Address
  • Telephone listing
  • Student ages (if known)
  • Levels of education (if known)
  • Majors (if known)

Connecticut Public Act 97-2 (‘An Act Concerning Military Recruitment’)incorporates the requirements of federal law, providing that each constituent unit of higher education must comply to the extent necessary to prevent loss of federal funds. This statute effectively overrules Gay and Lesbian StudentsAssociation v. Board of Regents of the University of Connecticut, 236 Conn. 453(1966), which held that military recruitment in public colleges was prohibited because of another provision of state law (Connecticut General Statutes sections 46a-81I & j) prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Therefore, in compliance with the Solomon Amendment and Public Act 97-2, and strictly for purposes of access by military recruiters only, MxCC has also designated the following as directory information:

  • Telephone listing
  • Student ages (if known)
  • Levels of education (if known)
  • Majors