The Academic Credit Hour

Middlesex Community College’s policy on credit hours follows that of the U.S. Department of Education and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. A credit hour represents academic work requiring the equivalent of (1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester or trimester hour of credit, or ten to twelve weeks for one quarter hour of credit, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time; or (2) At least an equivalent amount of work for other academic activities as established by the institution including laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work, and other academic work leading to the award of credit hours.

Grading System

The grades A, B, C, D, F are given for each course at the end of the semester and are used to compute the grade point average (GPA). Several other administrative notations may appear on a student’s grade report or transcript. These include: AU (Audit), I (Incomplete), M (Maintaining Progress – used for developmental courses only), P (Pass), TR (Transfer), or W (Withdrawal).

Grade points:

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F = 0.0

The letter grades shown above, with an additional designator of the # sign, shall also be used for grades awarded to students in developmental courses.


Withdrawals from Courses

A student may withdraw from any course after the add/drop period, until the end of the 11th week of the semester (for the Fall and Spring semesters). This deadline is published in the Academic Calendar. The withdrawal deadline for accelerated courses (late start/early end, winter, and summer) is the date at which 75% of the total course time has been completed.

A student must take the responsibility for initiating and completing a withdrawal. It is in the best interest of the student to discuss a withdrawal with his or her academic advisor, and/or the Instructor in the course. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course must:

  • Obtain a withdrawal form from the Records Office,
  • Fill in and sign the form,
  • Obtain the signature of the course instructor, and (if applicable) financial aid staff member and/or veterans counselor, and
  • Return the completed form to the Records Office prior to the deadline.
  • A student who is taking an online course and is unable to come to campus, should contact the course instructor to request a withdrawal electronically, prior to the deadline.

A student who wishes to completely withdraw from MxCC must notify the Records Office of that intention. The College prefers the student to come in personally and obtain signatures as described above. However, notification may be made in writing.

A withdrawal will be recorded as a “W” on the student’s transcript. Withdrawing from a course makes the student ineligible for Dean’s List recognition in that semester.

A student who misses the withdrawal deadline, and who has extenuating circumstances, may choose to file an “Appeal for Late Withdrawal” form with theDean of Academic Affairs. This form must be signed by the instructor indicating his/her permission for withdrawal before the appeal will be considered.

Any student who stops attending a class and fails to complete a withdrawal form will receive a letter grade for that course (A – F).

Course withdrawals may affect state and federal benefits programs. If a student who is receiving financial aid withdraws from a course, he or she must notify the Financial Aid Office immediately.If a veteran withdraws from a course, he or she must notify the Veterans’ Counselor immediately.

A student may not obtain a transcript notation of “W” in a course if there exists substantial reason to believe the student has engaged in a violation of academic integrity in the course. A transcript notation of “W” will only be permitted for such student when the final resolution results in a finding that the student did not commit a violation of academic integrity in the course.

Incomplete Grade

An “incomplete” is a temporary grade assigned by a faculty member when coursework is missing and the student agrees to complete the requirements. Although a student may request an incomplete, the faculty member is not required to honor the request. The faculty member should assign an incomplete when there are extenuating circumstances such as illness that prevent a student from completing the assigned work on time and, in the judgment of the faculty member, the student can complete the remaining work within the time limit established by this policy.

If an incomplete is assigned, the faculty member will set forth in writing a description of the work to be completed, the date by which the work must be submitted (i.e. the end of the 10th week of the next standard semester), and a statement that the “I” will change to a specified letter grade if the work is not completed by the due date. An “I” will convert to an “F” grade if no make-up grade has been specified.

Students with an “I” are temporarily ineligible for semester or graduation honors. Upon conversion of the “I” to a letter grade, students may retroactively receive semester or graduation honors and such recognition shall appear on the transcript, provided that the student has earned the required grade point average.


Audit (AU)

Students not wishing a course grade and college credit may “audit” a course.  This status will allow them to participate in class activities without being required to meet the examination requirements of the course. Students may ask to have papers critiqued, but faculty members are not required to grade an auditor’s course work.

Students may register as auditors under the following conditions:

  • Full tuition and fees must be paid.
  • “Audit” status must be declared at the time of registration, or can be changed from credit status to audit status within the first four weeks of the course.  All permissions and registrations for auditing courses must be filed in the Records Office by this deadline.
  • The course grade will be entered as “AU,” which is an administrative transcript notation signifying no credit was awarded.
  • Full-time students must obtain the consent of their academic advisor.

Students auditing a course may not change to credit status.  Declaring audit status is an irrevocable decision.


Repeating Courses

No course may be attempted more than three times. The highest grade received will be used in calculating the student’s academic average. This does not apply to those courses that are designed to be repeated for additional credit.


Pass/Fail Option

Students may elect to be graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis in any unrestricted elective (appears in the program designs simply as “elective”). The Records Office must be notified of this intention at the time of registration. Grades received in these courses will be entered on the transcript as “P” or “F.” Credit towards graduation will be given for no more than four courses taken under this option. Because course transferability may be affected by this option, a student should consult with an advisor prior to choosing this method.