The Biotechnology Certificate is a 22-credit, 6-course program that can be completed in one year for full-time students. This certificate is a stackable credential for students who already possess a related A.S. or B.S. degree from the U.S. or abroad – and who are returning to school for employment and technology-based training. It equips students with necessary skills and knowledge, along with good management practices that focus on quality, sterility, documentation, regulatory compliance, and safety in the laboratory environment. These key qualifications are crucial to working in today’s biotechnology field.
This certificate program – which includes an internship – keeps students current with the newest discoveries and advancements in biotechnology. It increases and improves their laboratory techniques skills – from the basics such as solution preparation and micropipetting to more advanced skills including performing bacterial transformations and operating large benchtop equipment such as a High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC).
As the certificate is comprised entirely of courses within MxCC’s Biotechnology A.S. degree, students may switch to pursue the full degree instead of or in addition to the certificate (with no penalties).
|Dr. Frank Stellabotte
Interim Assistant Professor, Biotechnology
Office Location: Wheaton 209
Upon completion of the Biotechnology Certificate, graduates will be able to:
- Conduct themselves as biotechnology lab technicians with the basic skills and knowledge required to function effectively in a research setting.
- Demonstrate proficiencies in both basic and advanced principles of chemistry and biology that are required by a person working as a lab technician or planning to enter into a four-year college science program.
- Explain the basic principles of genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, chemistry, biochemistry, and microbiology.
- Employ sterile technique in the handling of microbial cultures with knowledge of what is safe and what is hazardous.
- Prepare solutions and perform accurate measurements using precision instruments such as balances and micropipettors.
- Demonstrate skills in the use of recombinant DNA techniques, PCR, DNA sequence analysis, HPLC, gas chromatography, mass spectroscopy, IR spectroscopy, UV/VIS spectroscopy, as well as the use of the computer to collect and analyze experimental data.
- Recognize the ethical issues that are relevant to the field of biotechnology.
The Biotechnology Certificate consists of 6 courses (Note that two of these have choices):
- BIO*109 Principles of Biotechnology (3 credits)
- BIO*222 Molecular Biotechniques (4 credits)
- BIO*235 Microbiology (4 credits) or BIO*263 Molecular Genetics (4 credits)
- CHE*220 Biochemistry (4 credits) or CHE*112 Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry (4 credits)
- CHE*250 Instrumental Analysis (4 credits)
- BIO*296 Biotechnology Internship (3 credits)
Total Credits: 22
All of the courses listed above currently existing in the Biotechnology A.S. degree program.
Compare to the Biotechnology Associates Degree offered at MxCC: http://mxcc.edu/catalog/degree-programs/biotechnology