The News and Sports Production certificate program prepares students for entry-level positions in television news and sports production. Emphasis is on hands-on production skills used at broadcast television stations, media production companies and new media organizations. Graduates are prepared for positions such as associate producer, assignment editor, teleprompter operator, floor/studio manager, news photographer, video editor, and new media producer.
Professor of Broadcast-Cinema
Office: Chapman Hall 606
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate competency in the production of various media used in broadcast television news and sports.
- Demonstrate competency in developing and writing scripts and stories in preparation of media production.
- Demonstrate competency in using the technology of media production including cameras, editing, lights, graphics and sound in news and sports production.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply style to news and sports productions including the various aesthetic elements that compose a media production (photography, staging, sound, editing, etc.).
- Demonstrate the ability to produce media quickly and efficiently, meeting deadlines and working with a production crew.
- Demonstrate competency in solving problems “on the set” with technology and other unknown contingencies (actors, administration, etc.).
- Demonstrate the ability to use the computer as a productivity tool.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively a professional environment with a diverse production crew.
A Graduation Checklist is a printable list of course requirements you will use when you meet with your academic advisor each semester. The checklist helps you keep track of your progress from when you first enter MxCC to when you are ready to graduate.
|COM*125 New Media Production||3|
|+ COM*142 Television Production||4|
|COM*147 Digital Cinematography||3|
|+ COM*179 Performance for Film & Television||3|
|+ COM*228 Broadcast Journalism Workshop||3|
|+ COM*295 or + COM*296 Internship||3|
|DGA*101 Introduction to Digital Arts
OR DGA*110 Introduction to Computer Graphics
|+ DGA*182 Digital Video Technology||3|
|Elective from COM* or DGA* as selected with Advisor||3|
|+ ENG*101 Composition||3|
+ This course has a prerequisite