Associate in Arts Degree
Students may follow one of two tracks to earn a Fine Arts degree:
The Fine Arts Track provides a transfer program in the fine arts for students who wish to continue in this field after graduation. In addition to the primary transfer function, this program also provides cultural enrichment for students wishing only the associate’s degree.
The Graphic Design Track provides students with the basic skills required for entry level employment as graphic designers and illustrators in design studios, publishing companies, printeries, and service bureaus. This track emphasizes the development of aesthetic sensibilities using traditional mediums as well as new technologies.Students should take required courses first, then choose electives to meet their specific career goals.
Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college are advised to check with the intended college concerning the number of transferable credits. Completion of the requirements of an additional program “track” does not constitute a different degree.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Implement fundamental design skills as they relate to graphic design
- Demonstrate a level of technical as well as creative skills appropriate for employment in the graphic design industry
- Demonstrate an understanding and application of terminology used in today’s graphic design environments
- Demonstrate competency in the use of the computer and in the use of the major programs that have been created for the graphic design field
- Make use of the fundamentals of typography, and use that knowledge to effectively integrate text and image within a cohesive design
- Work effectively within a team environment with a diverse employment population.
- Demonstrate effective presentation skills
- Demonstrate the traits and attitudes that promote ongoing success and strong work ethic as related to the graphic design industry (good communication skills, research ability, meeting deadlines, punctuality).
- Apply the integrated skills and knowledge to the successful completion of an on-the-job graphic design internship.
- Fine Arts Degree Fine Arts Track Graduation Checklist
- Fine Arts Degree Graphic Design Track Graduation Checklist
A Graduation Checklist is a printable list of course requirements you will use when you meet with your academic advisor each semester. The checklist helps you keep track of your progress from when you first enter MxCC to when you are ready to graduate.