Associate in Science Degree
The Digital Media Production Associate of Applied Science degree, will provide students the opportunity to complete 21 credits of general education coursework (including two program-related courses that fulfill the “aesthetic dimensions” competency) and 12 credits of common course requirements in digital media.
A unique aspect of this program is that students will complete the balance of their degree requirements through 27 credits of directed electives targeted to needed positions in Connecticut’s growing media industry. This will require students to co-enroll in one of the college’s digital media professional certificate programs. Students will select from one of the six areas of specialization designed to fulfill their educational and career goals from their chosen certificate.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Express ideas using the aesthetic elements used in film and broadcast media including photography, mise en scene, editing, audio, scriptwriting, acting, etc.
- Develop narratives including fiction, documentary, news and prepare scripts for production through the pre-production process
- Compose, light and record images as part of the production process.
- Produce programming using the industry-standard professional production and post production tools including cameras, lighting, studio equipment, editing software, digital effects and graphics, and duplication and distribution methods.
- Through internships, practicums and service learning experiences, students will know proper set etiquette and work ethics unique to the broadcast industry.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate program content and quality to improve their writing and production skills.
- Record audio using proper microphone and mixing techniques.
- Apply field and studio production techniques to various applications including news, talk, sports, short films, long form video, documentary, corporate media, advertising and marketing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how varying production conditions and specific techniques such as lighting, audio, varying editing, adding effects, can develop a unique visual and personal style while enhancing communication effectiveness.
A Graduation Checklist is a printable list of course requirements you will use when you meet with your academic advisor each semester. The checklist helps you keep track of your progress from when you first enter MxCC to when you are ready to graduate.