Board of Regents: Community Colleges Policy 5.2.2. Adopted October 18, 1976; amended February 19, 1979, April 20, 1981, July 20, 1981, November 16, 1987, February 26, 1990, March 16, 1998, and November 15, 1999; technical amendment May 1, 2002 in compliance with Public Acts 98-180 and 01-28, technical amendment in compliance with Public Act 11-55, eff. October 1, 2011.
Policy on Student Rights
Section 3: Review of Academic Standing
A student may seek review of the assignment of a grade or other decision affecting academic status in accordance with the following procedures:
- The grade or academic decision affecting academic status should be discussed informally with the instructor or official responsible for the decision within fifteen (15) calendar days of the student’s awareness of the decision.
- If the matter is not satisfactorily adjusted within ten calendar days of this appeal or the instructor is not available, the student may refer the matter to the academic dean by filing a written appeal. The appeal must be filed with the academic dean within thirty (30) calendar days of the student’s awareness of the decision which is being appealed. Upon receipt of such appeal, the dean shall meet with the instructor, if he or she is available, to determine that step 1 has taken place or is not possible and to receive relevant information from the instructor responsible for the decision. The dean may then refer the matter to the academic supervisor for informal consideration prior to step 3 below.
- The Dean of Academic Affairs or other official(s) designated by the Dean of Academic Affairs shall afford review as provided below. The president may designate an official or an academic appeals committee to provide review at this step in lieu of the academic dean.The student shall be afforded the right to present a statement of appeal and relevant information in support of it. It is the student’s responsibility to show that the decision in question is arbitrary, i.e., without a reasonable basis, or was made for improper reasons in violation of section 1 of this policy. The student is entitled to a written response within thirty days of the completion of his or her presentation. A decision to change the grade or modify the decision which has been appealed is advisory to and subject to the approval of the president.
- The foregoing decision may be appealed to the president by filing a statement of appeal within ten (10) calendar days of the date of the decision. Review by the president shall be on the basis of the written record unless he or she decides that fairness requires broader review. The decision of the president shall be final.
- The time frames provided herein may be modified by the president for good cause shown.