MxCC will accept financial aid applications all year long. However, for the best chance at a great financial aid package, completed FAFSA applications must be received by:
- MAY 1 Summer term
- AUGUST 1 Full academic year (fall and spring semesters) or just fall semester
- DECEMBER 1 Spring semester
How do I apply for financial aid at MxCC?
First, you must be accepted into a degree or certificate program at MxCC. Then, you can apply for financial aid online at WWW.FAFSA.GOV
What will I need to fill out the FAFSA?
You will need:
- Record of income you earned in the year PRIOR to when you will start school
- Your social security number (SSN)
- Your driver’s license (if any)
- Your W-2 forms and other records of earnings
- Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return – IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040Telefile, foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia
- Your untaxed income records
- Current bank statements and records of stocks, bonds and other investments
- Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- DEPENDENT STUDENTS ALSO WILL NEED their parents’ Federal Income Tax Return and social security number(s).
I finished the FAFSA application so that means I receive aid, right?
Not necessarily. The MxCC Financial Office will need 4-6 weeks to check your eligibility and determine your award.
How can I check the status of my financial aid application?
You can check the status of your application or award package anytime atwww.my.commnet.edu Self Service.
How can I set up my My.Commnet.edu email account?
Follow the instructions provided to you by the MxCC Admissions Office (helpful video can be found by clicking here
How long will it take for me to know what my financial aid package is?
The Financial Aid Office needs 4-6 weeks to process and determine the eligibility of each student BEFORE awarding the aid package.
How will I know if I received financial aid?
You will be alerted by your MxCC email account on www.my.commnet.edu
. You will be able to review your financial aid award online at www.my.commnet.edu
Do I have to be enrolled full-time at MxCC to receive financial aid?
No! You can be enrolled part-time or full-time – but your financial aid will be adjusted if you are not full time. Here’s the official breakdown and how it affects your financial aid:
- 12 credits and above: full-time – receive 100% of financial award
- 9-11 credits: 3/4-time – receive 75% of financial reward
- 6-8 credits: 1/2-time – receive 50% of financial reward (NOTE: this is the MINIMUM level needed to maximize your financial aid!)
- 3-5 credits: less than half time – Most likely not eligible for financial aid (contact Financial Aid office to confirm)
Is there a checklist of all the things I need to do to receive financial aid?
Yes, see this checklist: Paying for your MxCC Education: A Financial Aid Checklist
for help and to be sure you are on track with the financial aid process.
Once I have financial aid, I won’t lose it. Right?
WRONG! Your financial aid status is dependent on class attendance, successful completion of 67% of courses each semester, and maintaining a 2.00 cumulative grade point average. This simple worksheet
will help keep you on track!
If I withdraw from a class, will I have to repay any financial aid?
YES it is possible you will owe money! Please be advised that withdrawal from classes may affect your financial aid eligibility. If you switch a class to audit, drop all of your classes, unofficially withdraw, or fail all of your classes, you will most likely owe back financial aid money and receive a bill.
Click here to read the full policy: http://mxcc.edu/financial-aid/financial-aid-withdrawal-policy
Are my textbooks covered by financial aid?
Maybe – if your financial aid package includes a credit, that amount can be used at the MxCC Bookstore! Check for this message on your www.My.Commnet.edu
account: “You have been awarded financial aid in excess of tuition and fee charges by the Office of Financial Aid Services.”
The amount “in excess” can be used in the bookstore – but only during certain dates at the start of each semester (check www.mxcc.edu
for dates and information). Bring your schedule and a photo ID with you to the bookstore to access your funds.
How do I contact the financial aid office?
The Financial Aid Services Office, located in Founder’s Hall, can be reached at (860) 343-5741 or by email Financial Aid Services Office. Fax number: (860) 344-3014.