Who We Are
In order to support the college’s mission that “students are the center” of all that we do, the MxCC Learning Commons provides a collaborative resource hub for academic inquiry, instruction, and learning. With advanced technologies and state of the art facilities (Pegasus Green), students, faculty, and staff are provided opportunities for innovation in instruction, group work, online tutoring and assistance, and the exploration of emerging educational technologies.
The MxCC Learning Commons is a collaborative learning resource hub for academic, cultural, and personal growth. It is a physical and virtual space where inquiry, discovery, and creativity are nurtured. By blending traditional services with advanced facilities, the Learning Commons provides opportunities for instructional innovation, collaborative work, tutoring, and the exploration of emerging educational technologies.
To fulfill our mission, we provide:
- A physical environment that is welcoming, learning centered, intellectually stimulating, and culturally engaging.
- Access to a broad and balanced array of information resources, available in print and online formats, to meet the needs of the college and its community.
- An integrated library system that expands the collection to materials available from public colleges and universities across Connecticut.
- Information literacy instruction through collaboration with faculty so that students may become discerning, autonomous, and efficient users of information, and engaged global citizens.
- Leadership by pioneering new and changing technologies to enhance teaching and learning.
- Design, development, and person-to-person technical support for online and web-enhanced courses.
- Professional development activities for adoption of emerging technologies.
- Supplemental instruction from peer and highly-qualified tutors in multiple subject areas.
- Modeling and coaching student success strategies including goal setting, time management, organizational skills, reduction of test taking anxiety, and instilling confidence leading to independent learning.
- Online tutoring using WebEx and Blackboard Learn.
- Academic skills assessment and initial advising in course placement to optimize student success.
Created June 8, 2017