- An MxCC library card is required to borrow materials. Application for library cards may be made at the library circulation desk with a valid photo I.D. MxCC students, faculty, and staff may use their MxCC ID as their library card.
- Use the online catalog to search for items. Loan periods for books are 3 weeks and DVDs and videos 1 week. Items may be renewed for an additional loan period as long as no one has requested the item. You can view your library account and renew items online or contact us.
- Items may be placed on hold by calling the library at 860.343.5830. You will be called when the item is available.
- Materials should be returned to the library main desk or in the book drop outside the library staff door in Chapman Hall. Late fees are $0.10/day for books and $0.50/day for DVDs and videos. Lost items are charged at their replacement cost. Loan periods and fees for other materials vary.
- Meriden students can use our Intercampus Loan to Meriden service to obtain materials from the Middletown campus.
- Students: Course reserves are located behind the main desk in the Library. Borrowing periods are set by your professor.
- Faculty/Staff: MxCC faculty and staff may place materials (from the library’s collection or personal copies) on reserve in the library. Bring materials to the front desk in the library.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows you to borrow items from us that we obtain for you from other libraries. If you have questions regarding ILL, please call 860.343.5834 or 860.343.5830 or contact us via email.
- Students, faculty and staff may request items. Community borrowers are asked to make requests to their public library.
- We always try to obtain items from libraries that do not charge. If we are unable to do so, we will obtain your permission before incurring any fees.
- Requests are limited to 3 items at a time. The library we are borrowing from determines how long materials may be borrowed. Please make requests for renewals early, as permission must be obtained from the lending library.
- Requests can be made in person in the library; they can also be done online using our Interlibrary Loan Request Form
- Materials are added to the library collection either through purchase or donation. Selection is based upon the library’s Collection Development Policy, which considers many factors such as relevancy to the curriculum, accuracy of the information and cost. This policy also governs the removal of materials from the collection.
- Donations are accepted; however please contact us first to discuss.
- Suggesting Titles to Purchase: Faculty and staff suggestions for purchase of new materials are welcomed. Please contact a library liaison use the suggestion form.
Netbooks are available to borrow at the Jean Burr Smith Library on the Middletown campus, and at the Meriden Learning Lab.
- Dell Latitude 2120s equipped with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010
- Can access the Internet wirelessly
- Have USB ports for use with flash/thumb/USB drives or other USB devices, and may be used with AC power or battery.
- Current MxCC students – who have a valid school ID (or equivalent) and do not owe more than $10 in fines and fees — may borrow Netbooks. (Faculty and staff may borrow laptops from IT.)
- Students can borrow one Netbook at a time. The loan period is 14 days (7 days at Meriden), no renewals.
- Students must wait at least 24 hours between subsequent check-outs of a Netbook.
- Students may place a hold if no Netbooks are currently available. Once a device becomes available, the student will be notified and will have 24 hours to pick up the device.
- Netbooks must be picked up in person and returned in person to the location from which it was borrowed during operating hours. Netbooks may not be returned in the book drop.
- Students are required to sign a Netbook Borrower’s Agreement form outlining their responsibilities if the Netbooks (or its parts) are not returned. At each check-in and check-out, students are required to initial the agreement form to acknowledge that all pieces were returned in good condition.
Using the Netbooks
- Use of a Netbook is on a “self-service” basis. Refer to the included printed instructions for help operating it.
- Library, Learning Lab, and IT staff are not available to provide software application (Word, Excel, etc.) support. Utilize the “Help” menu in the application.
- Immediately report malfunctions and unusual programs or software to Library or Learning Lab staff.
- Safeguard the Netbook at all times; never leave it unattended. Users are responsible for any and all damage done to the Netbook while it is checked out to them. They are also responsible for theft of the device while in their possession.
- Save all work to a flash drive. All files saved to the Netbook will be erased when returned. The Library is not responsible for any lost or damaged files.
- NO student can receive payment for a production utilizing MxCC equipment. The sole purpose of the Netbooks is for education, not for students to run private businesses.
Fines and Fees
- Borrowers are expected to return the Netbooks in good working order and on time. Please report any problems with the computer immediately to the Library staff.
- Borrowers will be billed for repair and/or replacement costs for any loss, theft or damage of the Netbooks in addition to fines and processing fees for items returned late.
- Overdue: $10/day. If a Netbook is 5 days overdue, it is considered lost or stolen, and the student will be billed for the full cost of the device.
- Cleaning fee for devices/cases returned dirty: $10
- Full replacement cost of a lost item ( case, adaptor, and battery) will be determined at the time of loss.
Please treat the devices as if they were your own and understand the responsibilities you have to yourself and to your fellow students in maintaining equipment in working order when it’s in your possession. The Library reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who abuses the Netbook or is repeatedly late in returning it.
Page last updated: 2015-04-09