To help you get to know MxCC – the campus, our community, the way we do things –
All New, Transfer and Readmit students are expected to attend ONE of the New Student Orientation sessions listed for its full duration.
Note: Online students, those who already hold a degree from another institution, and those transferring into MxCC with more than 15 earned credits are not required to attend orientation (although they are welcome). Students who missed the on-campus program should immediately and thoroughly review the content of this site.
If you are a “MERIDEN only” student, meaning you are taking classes at the Meriden Center only, you are expected to attend one of the sessions scheduled at the Meriden Center – 55 West Main Street.
As a new student at the college, you are bound to have questions. New Student Orientation is your most effective first step towards getting those questions answered, and we are here to help.
Want to be ready to begin classes? Meet other students, faculty and staff? Learn about important support services we have to help you be a successful student?
During New Student Orientation we will:
- Provide a tour of the campus,
- Get you logged on to myCommnet and introduce you to Blackboard, our online platform
- Link to your college assigned email
- Share what MxCC expects of you
- Introduce you to campus support resources
- Have other student leaders share their academic and co-curricular experiences and introduce you to MxCC clubs
- Prepare you for your first day
Before or after the program, you will be able to:
- Get your photo taken for your Student ID card and get your card (Come early for day sessions; unavailable during evening sessions in Middletown)
- Purchase your books (not in Meriden or during evening sessions)
Please be on time and bring your student schedule printout with you; it has your Banner ID # on it. Please also bring a picture ID (required for obtaining photo ID card).
Light refreshments will be served
Prizes will be awarded to select winners at the end of the program.
Note: The official Student Handbook is a virtual Orientation site. It is packed with all the information MxCC students need to be familiar with.
Upcoming New Student Orientation Sessions
- Monday, January 12, 2015 from 5-9pm
- Tuesday, January 13, 2015 from 1-5pm
- Tuesday, January 20, 2015 from 10am -2pm
- Thursday, January 15, 2015 from 10am – 2pm and 5pm -9pm
- Friday, January 16 from 10am -2pm
- ARRIVE READY! Review, print, and complete these HOMEWORK worksheets and bring with you to NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION. … and review additional helpful information below.
- WATCH these short videos about using My.Commnet.Edu and other on-campus technology. The College expects you to know the content of all 5 videos before you start classes.
- Click here to read the Student Handbook
New Student Orientation is hosted by the Office of Retention Services. Contact Judy Mazgulski with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 860-343-5868.
Whether you are taking one class or several, for personal enrichment or career advancement, to earn a degree with us or transfer, MxCC has the resources to assist you in accomplishing your goals.
Print and complete these worksheets NOW and bring to NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION:
- Think About It – Why am I here?
- Things to Do Before Starting Classes at MxCC
- CampusTips: Things you need to know your first week!
- Paying for your MxCC Education: Tuition and fees MUST be paid when you register for classes
- Paying for your MxCC Education: A Financial Aid Checklist
- Your Plan to Earn Your Degree – and Keep Your Financial Aid
- MxCC_Myths and Truths: Taking Classes Online (Distance Learning)
- Full-Time or Part-Time: What’s right for you?
- The Differences Between High School and College
- My.Commnet.edu: A Checklist for Getting and Staying Connected Online at MxCC
- Follett’s Bookstore @ MxCC: Demystified