To help you get to know MxCC – the campus, our community, the way we do things –
All New, Transfer and Readmit students are expected to attend ONE of the New Student Orientation sessions listed for its full duration.
Note: Online students, those who already hold a degree from another institution, and those transferring into MxCC with more than 15 earned credits are not required to attend orientation (although they are welcome). Students who missed the on-campus program should immediately and thoroughly review the content of this site.
If you are a “MERIDEN only” student, meaning you are taking classes at the Meriden Center only, you are expected to attend one of the sessions scheduled at the Meriden Center – 55 West Main Street.
As a new student at the college, you are bound to have questions. New Student Orientation is your most effective first step towards getting those questions answered, and we are here to help.
Want to be ready to begin classes? Meet other students, faculty and staff? Learn about important support services we have to help you be a successful student?
During New Student Orientation we will:
- Provide a tour of the campus,
- Get you logged on to myCommnet and introduce you to Blackboard, our online platform
- Link to your college assigned email
- Share what MxCC expects of you
- Introduce you to campus support resources
- Have other student leaders share their academic and co-curricular experiences and introduce you to MxCC clubs
- Provide a one hour session for parents
- Prepare you for your first day
Before or after the program, you will be able to:
- Get your photo taken for your Student ID card and get your card (Come early for day sessions; unavailable during evening sessions in Middletown)
- Purchase your books (not in Meriden or during evening sessions)
Please be on time and bring your student schedule printout with you; it has your Banner ID # on it. Please also bring a picture ID (required for obtaining photo ID card).
Light refreshments will be served
Prizes will be awarded to select winners at the end of the program.
Note: The official Student Handbook is a virtual Orientation site. It is packed with all the information MxCC students need to be familiar with.
Upcoming New Student Orientation Sessions
Click here to Register
- Wednesday, August 6 in Middletown from 10am -2pm
- Thursday, August 14* in Middletown from 5-9pm
- Tuesday, August 19 in Middletown from 1-5pm
- Thursday, August 21*** in Middletown from 10am – 2pm
- Tuesday, August 26**** in Middletown from 1-5pm
- Wednesday, August 13 in Meriden from 12pm – 3:30pm
- Wednesday, August 13 in Meriden from 5pm-8:30pm
- Wednesday, August 20 in Meriden from 9:30am -1pm
- Wednesday, August 20** in Meriden from 5:30 -9pm
- Friday August 22 in Meriden from 9:30am – 1pm
- Friday August 22 in Meriden 2-5:30pm
- ARRIVE READY! Review, print, and complete these HOMEWORK worksheets and bring with you to NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION. … and review additional helpful information below.
- WATCH these short videos about using My.Commnet.Edu and other on-campus technology. The College expects you to know the content of all 5 videos before you start classes.
- Click here to read the Student Handbook
*Plus 50 students are encouraged to attend 8/14 evening session.
**Meriden TYP (Transitional Year Program) students are encouraged to attend the 8/20 Meriden session.
***Students who are in Broadcast-Cinema, Communication, Fine Arts, Fine Arts/Graphic Design, and Multimedia programs are encouraged to attend the New Student Orientation on 8/21 and stay for a specialized orientation just for students in the Center for New Media.
***Middletown TYP students are encouraged to attend the 8/26 session.
Click here to Register
New Student Orientation is hosted by the Office of Retention Services. Contact Judy Mazgulski with questions at email@example.com, or at 860-343-5868.
Whether you are taking one class or several, for personal enrichment or career advancement, to earn a degree with us or transfer, MxCC has the resources to assist you in accomplishing your goals.
Print and complete these worksheets NOW and bring to NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION:
- Think About It – Why am I here?
- Things to Do Before Starting Classes at MxCC
- CampusTips: Things you need to know your first week!
- Paying for your MxCC Education: Tuition and fees MUST be paid when you register for classes
- Paying for your MxCC Education: A Financial Aid Checklist
- Your Plan to Earn Your Degree – and Keep Your Financial Aid
- MxCC_Myths and Truths: Taking Classes Online (Distance Learning)
- Full-Time or Part-Time: What’s right for you?
- The Differences Between High School and College
- My.Commnet.edu: A Checklist for Getting and Staying Connected Online at MxCC
- Follett’s Bookstore @ MxCC: Demystified