All New, Transfer and Readmit students are expected to attend ONE of the New Student Orientation sessions listed for its full duration.
Students who missed the on-campus program should immediately and thoroughly review the content of this site.
If you are a “MERIDEN only” student, meaning you are taking classes at the Meriden Center only, you are expected to attend one of the sessions scheduled at the Meriden Center – 55 West Main Street.
If you have not yet registered for your classes, the links below will help you prepare for your registration advising session.
If you have already registered, then please review the links for Orientation and click on the REGISTER FOR ORIENTATION box to select a session and reserve your seat.
Things to Review BEFORE Registering for Classes: Prepare Now and Be Informed
The college expects you to arrive ready! Reviewing the content below and doing the homework will start you off in a direction of success.
- The Differences Between High School and College
- Prepare to Meet Your Advisor
- Full-Time or Part-Time Enrollment
- General Education Requirements/Transfer Articulation Pathways
- Checklist for Success – Use, Print and Bring to Registration and New Student Orientation
- Campus Tips: Things you need to know your first week – Print and Bring to New Student Orientation
What Successful Students Do: Self – Assessment begins now
- Why am I here? Questions to answer thoughtfully
- What is your college commitment level? What are your College Goals? Take the Self Assessment Surveys
- What Do You Want To Study?
- Assess Your Study Habits
- Career Planning / Transfer Planning
Paying For Your MxCC Education:
Use my.Commnet.edu and your college assigned email (a MUST for all students)
- WATCH these short video tutorials about using My.Commnet.Edu and other on-campus technology. The College expects you to know the content of all 7 videos before you start classes.
Considering ONLINE Classes?
- Take the SmarterMeasure Test: Is online learning suitable for you?
- What Makes a Successful Online Learner?
- Self Assessment for Distance Learners – an online tool
- MxCC_Myths and Truths: Taking Classes Online (Distance Learning)
Things to Review and Do AFTER You Register for Classes
- Select an Orientation Session & Reserve Your Seat
- Read: Textbook Info: Follett’s Bookstore at Middlesex – Demystified
- Familiarize yourself with the official Student Handbook
- Learn to Love It: Read Your Syllabus
New Student Orientation is hosted by the Office of Retention Services. Contact Judy Mazgulski with questions at: email@example.com or (860) 343-5868
During New Student Orientation you will:
- Take a tour of campus and learn about campus and web support resources
- Log on to myCommnet, tour Blackboard, our online platform, and link to your college assigned email
- Hear from student leaders about their academic and co-curricular experiences and learn about MxCC clubs
- Learn about the Bookstore and purchasing textbooks
- Learn what to expect your first day
- Meet other new students!
- Receive a NSO Guidebook
When possible before or after your Orientation session, you may get your photo taken for your Student ID card and get your card (not available at evening sessions).
When possible after your Orientation, you may be able to get your textbooks (not in Meriden or evening sessions).
Light refreshments will be served.