Student Senate is an annually elected (and non-elected) assembly of current students who represent the entire student body. The Senate serves two very important roles:
- It advocates for the interests of MxCC students in its dealings with college faculty, staff, and administration. It has the power to regulate the Student Activities Fund and member organizations, and make decisions that affect all students. Members of Senate also serve on the College Council committees, search committees for new staff members, and other ad-hoc committees. Many are student leaders for our New Student Orientation program and/or tour guides for our Admissions Department.
- The Student Senate governs the expenditure of collected student activities fees that provide financial support for campus clubs and organizations, as well as for on and off-campus activities. With these fees, the Senate continuously plans, coordinates and conducts a wide variety of programs and special activities that enrich college life. Often in coordination with enthusiastic faculty, we have arranged for nationally renowned authors, speakers, performers and artists to appear on campus. All students are urged to share their ideas, personal skills, leadership and group management skills to assist with development and coordination of activities deemed worthy by the Student Senate.
Student Senate is based in the Student Activities Office, Founders Hall, Room 127
How to Become a Senator
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 at the time of election and maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher during their term. Officers must maintain a 2.7 GPA during their term of office.
- All officers and Senators-at-Large must be enrolled at MxCC at the time of election and stay enrolled during his/her term of office. Term of office is one academic year (July 1- June 30).
- Senators must submit a properly completed Senate Petition form to the SAO in order to participate in Senate. Elections take place in April for officers for the following academic year.
- No candidate may run for or hold more than one officer position either in Senate or any club/organization on campus.
- Student Senate members must adhere to all policies set forth by MxCC and the Student Senate Constitution.
Join Student Senate
We are accepting petitions for Officer positions and Senator-at-Large positions for the 2014-2015 School year.
Officer petitions must be turned in by 2pm on Thursday, April 10 to the Student Activities Office in Room 127, Founders Hall. If more than one petition is turned in for any one officer position, campaigning will take place from April 21-May 6 with elections being held at the Spring Fest on Wednesday, May 7 and from 4:45pm-7pm in Snow Hall Lobby and Thursday, May 8 from 10:30am-1:30pm in the Student Lounge and 4:45pm-7pm in Wheaton Hall Lobby. New officers will be announced on Monday, May12. Petitions for Senator-at-Large positions can be submitted at any time during the spring 2014 semester.
Members of Student Senate
· Represent the entire MxCC student body and provide a vehicle of communication between the student body, staff, faculty and administration.
· Assist with the development, promotion, and coordination of student activities
· Will have the opportunity to develop their personal skills in leadership and group management.
· Appropriate student activities fees and promote good policies, as well as good members of society.
Senate meets weekly at times/days set by officer’s class schedules.
Stop by Room 127 to see the duties of the Senate members and for more information.
Why Become Senator?
Student Senators are the “official voice” on campus. You work closely with an elite group of other senators – along with faculty, staff and administration – so you’re always in the loop of what’s going on around campus. Senators learn how the college operates “behind the scenes.”
As a senator, you develop life skills that are attractive to future employers. These skills include:
- Working with Others
- Meeting Management
- Event Planning
- Problem Solving, and
- Public Speaking.
The Senate is a great way of making friends and helping other students. Everything you accomplish individually and as a group will be recognized.
Meeting Dates and Times:
Student Senate currently meets every Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. in various conference rooms on campus (please check the schedule with the Student Activities Office). It is subject to change each semester due to member class and work schedules. Meetings usually last approximately 1½ hours. Meetings are open to all students; we encourage you to attend a meeting and communicate your ideas, thoughts, or concerns with us. We represent you!
Click on the links below to download a PDF of minutes from that meeting. Meetings listed here will be in the current semester. All other minutes can be acquired in the Student Activities Office, Room 127.