Fresh Start

The Fresh Start Policy allows students who have not attended college for a period of two or more years and who have a poor academic record to refresh their Grade Point Average (GPA) and develop a more favorable academic record. Students accepted for enrollment under Fresh Start will return in the status of academic probation.

All grades previously earned will remain on the student’s transcript. The semesters for which Fresh Start is invoked will include a transcript symbol indicating that the policy is in effect. The original GPA will not be included in any subsequent computation of the new GPA. In accordance with the system policy on transfer grades, if the Fresh Start option is approved,the student will receive credit for courses with a grade of “C-” or above, including “P” (Pass). Keep in mind:

  • The Fresh Start option can be used only once
  • The Fresh Start option does not apply to any completed degree or certificate
  • A student must complete a minimum of 15 credits after returning to college under the Fresh Start option to be eligible for a degree or certificate, and for graduation honors

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

    1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official [colleges may specify further if they wish], written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
    2. The right to request amendment of an education record that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask an appropriate College official to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. The student should write to the College official, clearly identify the part of the record he or she wants changed, and specify why he/she believes it is inaccurate. The College will notify the student of the decision. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. NOTE: FERPA is not intended to provide a process to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. For example, the right of challenge does not allow a student to contest a grade in a course because the student believes that a higher grade should have been assigned.
    3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. FERPA permits disclosure without consent to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A ‘school official’ includes but is not limited to the following: a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research or support staff position (including law enforcement and security personnel, counseling and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent or official of the National Student Clearinghouse); a person serving on the Board of Regents who is authorized to act on its behalf; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities.

FERPA also permits disclosure of education records without consent in connection with, but not limited to:

  • To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena;
  • To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency;
  • To officials of another school, upon request, in which the student seeks or intends to enroll;
  • In connection with a student’s request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid;
  • To certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, to state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs;
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their functions;
  • To organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the College;
  • The results of an institutional disciplinary proceeding against the alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence to the alleged victim of that crime with respect to that crime.
  • Directory information as defined in the policy of the Board of Regents.
  • The right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information about the student, except to school officials with a legitimate educational interest and others as indicated in paragraph 3 above. To do so, a student exercising this right must notify the Office of Enrollment Services in writing [location to be inserted by each College]. Once filed, this notification becomes a permanent part of the student’s record until the student instructs the College,in writing, to remove it.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department ofEducation concerning alleged failures by Colleges to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605


Student Directory Information

The Board of Regents has designated the following as directory information: student names and addresses, dates of attendance, full vs. part-time student status, awards, programs of study/major, and honors and graduation date. For purposes of access by military recruiters only, telephone listings and, if known, age,level of education and major are also designated as directory information.

Colleges may disclose directory information without prior consent, unless a student has exercised the right to refuse to permit the College to release directory information in accordance with paragraph 4 above.

Access to Student Information by Military Recruiters

Section 514B of the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997 (the ‘Solomon Amendment’) requires, as a condition of receipt of federal funds, that educational institutions provide military recruiters with access to the following information with respect to students who are 17 years of age or older and enrolled at the covered institution:

  • Student name
  • Address
  • Telephone listing
  • Student ages (if known)
  • Levels of education (if known)
  • Majors (if known)

Connecticut Public Act 97-2 (‘An Act Concerning Military Recruitment’)incorporates the requirements of federal law, providing that each constituent unit of higher education must comply to the extent necessary to prevent loss of federal funds. This statute effectively overrules Gay and Lesbian StudentsAssociation v. Board of Regents of the University of Connecticut, 236 Conn. 453(1966), which held that military recruitment in public colleges was prohibited because of another provision of state law (Connecticut General Statutes sections 46a-81I & j) prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Therefore, in compliance with the Solomon Amendment and Public Act 97-2, and strictly for purposes of access by military recruiters only, MxCC has also designated the following as directory information:

  • Telephone listing
  • Student ages (if known)
  • Levels of education (if known)
  • Majors


Veterans should follow the application procedures as outlined. In addition, veterans who are eligible to receive educational benefits must bring a copy of their DD-214 (separation papers) to the College Veterans Office, as well as their VA file-claim number if previous benefits have been received. Married veterans must also submit a copy of the marriage certificate and birth certificates of any children when applying for educational benefits.In order to receive a tuition waiver, eligible veterans must submit a copy of their DD-214 to the Business Office.

A veteran of the Armed Forces who served on active duty during time of war is entitled to a waiver of General Fund tuition provided that the veteran:

  1. Received an honorable discharge
  2. Is a resident of Connecticut at the time he/she is accepted for admission to the college
  3. Served at least ninety (90) days of active duty during any of the following U.S conflicts: World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Lebanon, Grenada, Operation Earnest Will, and Desert Storm. Note: Training, National Guard, and Reserve time are excluded.

Veterans are responsible for notifying the Office of Enrollment Services and the Veterans Office when any change of status occurs (add/drop courses, birth of child, etc.), as well as at the beginning of each academic year. All fees must be paid as they are due unless arrangements have been made in advance with the Director of Financial Aid.

This page was updated May 1, 2017