Middlesex Community College continues to fulfill its goal of being the “College of Our Community” by partnering with educational institutions and organizations throughout the county and state, including:
City of Meriden – MxCC@Platt
- The leaders of Middlesex Community College and the Meriden Public Schools have collaborated to keep quality and affordable higher education growing in Meriden by offering college classes at Platt High School in the evenings. As part of this partnership, a limited number of seats in all MxCC@Platt courses are offered free of charge to academically qualified Platt and Maloney high school students and Meriden school-system employees, allowing these students to get a head start on their college careers.
GEAR UP CT
- The Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) initiative is one of the largest and most effective programs focused on increasing the college and career readiness of low-income students in communities nationwide. GEAR UP is a highly competitive grant program that helps empower local partnerships comprised of K-12 schools, institutions of higher education, state agencies, and community organizations to achieve three strategic goals.
H.C. Wilcox Technical High School
- College-level Manufacturing classes are offered at H.C. Wilcox Technical High School located in Meriden. (Wilcox Tech is part of the Connecticut Technical High School system.)
- MxCC’s Radiologic Technology program is offered in collaboration with Middlesex Health. Courses requiring specialized laboratories, equipment, and hands-on practical experience are held at Middlesex Health network facilities.
- Pieper Olson Veterinary Hospital in Middletown provides small animal, radiology, and laboratory procedure clinical rotations for students enrolled in MxCC’s Veterinary Technology and Veterinary Assistant programs.
Vinal Technical High School
- Starting in the Spring 2019 semester, MxCC began offering manufacturing classes at Vinal Technical High School’s recently renovated manufacturing lab. Vinal Tech is also part of the Connecticut Technical High School system.
- Middlesex Community College continues its longtime relationship with nationally recognized Wesleyan University, also located in Middletown.
- Honors Program – Second-year students in MxCC’s Honors Program are eligible to enroll in one Wesleyan course at no cost to the students or MxCC. These students have full library privileges at Wesleyan while enrolled there. MxCC Honors students earn Wesleyan credits that can be transferred back to MxCC to complete their degree program or transferred to any baccalaureate institution after leaving MxCC.
- Center for New Media – Wesleyan faculty and staff can use the MxCC Center for New Media facilities for up to 100 hours per year, at no cost to Wesleyan. Exploratory ideas include hosting Wesleyan digital media courses at MxCC, and allowing Wesleyan staff to access the production facilities to create instructional media materials.
- Center for Prison Education – In 2016, Middlesex Community College launched an innovative public-private partnership with Wesleyan University’s Center for Prison Education (CPE), allowing students in Connecticut’s prisons to take a mix of courses rostered at either institution and earn an associate degree in recognition of their work. In August 2018, six women and 18 men have been awarded associate of science degrees from MxCC, the first members of the program to earn degrees while incarcerated, and trailblazers for the expanded college in prison program.
Sites that have hosted MxCC students for internship, clinical, practicum, and student teaching experience, from Fall 2015 to present:
- Agrifuels, Glastonbury, CT
- AxioMx, Branford, CT
- Backus Outpatient Care Center (BOP), Norwich, CT
- Blackstone Valley Community Healthcare, Pawtucket, RI
- Brand-Nu Laboratories, Meriden, CT
- CaroGen Corporation, Farmington, CT
- ChangeInc., Middletown, CT
- Clinton Police Department
- Connecticut Health Information Management Association (CTHIMA), North Haven, CT
- Crossroads Imaging Center, Waterford, CT
- Connecticut Judicial Branch
- Guilford Police Department
- Jackson Laboratory, Farmington, CT
- Meriden, Middletown, Wallingford Adult Education Centers
- Meriden Police Department
- Middlesex Health
- Middletown Police Department
- New Britain Police Department
- New Haven Police Department
- Norwalk Police Department
- Plainville Police Department
- Rocky Hill Police Department
- Tangen Biosciences, Branford, CT
- U.S. Marshals Service
- VA New England Healthcare System, West Haven, CT
- Wallingford Police Department