As we transition to being a “virtual campus” amid Coronavirus precautions, MxCC will be attempting to maintain much of the same services that we offer our students regularly online. We have created this page to provide information that will hopefully make this transition easier for everybody.
- Taking Classes Online (Distance Learning, Blackboard support, Technology Center computer questions)
- Help With Schoolwork Tutoring & Retention Services
- Virtual Library
- Career Counseling Resources
- Listening Lounge (Mental health counseling services for MxCC students)
- Magic Food Bus (Food pantry)
- Enrollment Services (Admissions, Registration, & Financial Aid)
- Other Resources (Community resources, free/reduced price internet, free textbooks and course materials, stress management resources, health insurance)
All courses will be held online until at least April 5. When possible, classes will be held in an online format at the same times as your normally scheduled classes would have been. Please log into Blackboard as soon as possible to prepare for online learning. Instructions for logging into Blackboard can be found here. It would be beneficial, for success in online courses, to have a fairly good (robust) PC, Macintosh Computer, Laptop, or mobile device (like an iPad or tablet) with good speakers, microphones, or headset with speaker and microphone.
- Visit our Online Learning website for Blackboard tutorials and technical help while classes are being held online. Contact Distance Learning staff if you need more help at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Several Webex Blackboard training workshops have been scheduled to prepare students for taking online classes. Please sign up and take advantage of these classes by visiting the Tech Trail for Students page.
- Blackboard help desk- 24/7 help for students with Blackboard by calling 860-723-0221. Afternoons and nights may have longer wait times as less staff is available.
- Any questions about course content (deadlines, homework/quiz/assignment questions, etc.) should go directly to your professor. Search for individual faculty and staff contacts in our employee directory. Please note that email will be the quickest and most efficient way to reach people at this time.
- Need Textbooks? VitalSource has joined leading publishers to help ensure students can continue to access quality digital course materials due to a recent and rapid campus shift to distance-learning. Get FREE course materials and textbooks here.
- Some helpful articles about online learning:
- STUDENTS MAY SELECT A CREDIT/NO-CREDIT OPTION
- The Connecticut Community Colleges have implemented a “Credit/No-Credit” option for students for the Spring 2020 semester. See this brochure for more information.
Help from the MxCC Technology Center
As we have transitioned to a completely online campus, this has caused some students heightened anxiety because of the need to navigate a new world of technology at home.
Please know that the Technology Center team is in place and prepared to provide ongoing support for students 7 days a week. We will be able to help with a wide range of technical and computer-related issues.
Students can reach the Technology Center to receive the technical assistance that they need:
- REACH US BY PHONE 860-343-6922: Call the TECH CENTER 24 hours a day to leave a message for a member of our technical staff. When you leave a voicemail an email message will be forwarded to our team. You will receive a reply within 24 hours.
- REACH US BY EMAIL MX-TechCenter@mxcc.commnet.edu
- REACH US ON TEAMS: MX-Technology Center – a group within our community
- HOURS of OPERATION: Monday-Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Academic Success Center is available for e-tutoring for MxCC students. Please see the following instructions for requesting online tutoring and submitting papers for review.
Tutoring Services for Center for New Media Students
Need help with your Center for New Media (CNM) courses? We offer virtual tutoring to CNM students in the following subjects: Adobe CCS, Protools, WIX, WordPress, and MS Office ( PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Concerned about your academic progress?
- Having difficulty in any of your classes?
- Having a hard time adjusting to the online coursework format?
- Facing personal issues that are affecting your academics?
- Struggling to get it all done (time management)?
- Need assistance with study skills, note taking, remembering what you learned, test-taking?
- Considering withdrawing from a course?
I can be contacted through email: email@example.com
Want/need to meet virtually? Email me to make arrangements.
Here are a few links from the Retention Services website www.mxcc.edu/retention that may help you as you finish out the semester:
- Tips for Catching Up
- Time Management
- Learning Tips & Tools
- General Study Tips
- Tips for Studying at Home from Goodwin College
- Test Stress Management & School Success Strategies
- Overcoming Math Anxiety
- Emailing your Professor: Netiquette Guidelines
Here is a link to the withdrawal form if you need it. Before you use it though, be sure to confer with your Professor about whether withdrawing is the wise option. That is a topic I am available to talk with too. There can be serious financial aid implications for withdrawing.
Remember, in time of change and stress (sounds like now) sticking with or getting into good habits is critical. Here is a link to an important infographic: What Successful Students Do
- Research assistance, subject guides, and useful resources compiled by your friendly MxCC librarians:
- Get help from a librarian: firstname.lastname@example.org or use the chat function on the Library page.
- Learning Commons Virtual Services and Events
If you have library materials, calculators or computers checked out from Middlesex Community College (or MxCC@Platt) that are due on or before June 1, 2020, please see the following instructions for returning them. As you know, the campus is closed and there is no reopening date scheduled yet. The college has extended the drop-off dates for you to return your items. This is your last opportunity to return the library items that you have checked out in person at this time. The library building is closed; please follow instructions below to return items to campus.
The college has extended the drop-off dates for you to return your items as follows:
Drop-Off Dates and Times:
Wednesday, May 27, 2020 10am – 2pm
Thursday, May 28, 2020 10am – 2pm
Middlesex Community College
100 Training Hill Road
Middletown, CT 06457
When you come on campus you will park in the UPPER LOT. Please park your car at a distance from other cars, utilizing every other space. Once you park, walk to the entrance to SNOW HALL. There will be signage to indicate where to line up to make your return. You must wear a mask and practice social distancing (10 feet apart).
Once it is your turn you will approach the table. Once at the table you will speak to the attending staff member, indicate your name, banner ID number and you will read the barcode number/machine number to the associate. She will log the information and you will place your item into the appropriately labeled box.
Once you drop off your item you will need to go directly back to your car and depart the campus.
The library staff will collect books, calculators and other media, such as DVDs. Please remember to bring the charging cables, bags, cases, etc. when making your return.
If you have any further questions, please contact the library. Thank you.
Log into your Library Account to View your Checkouts
Call the Library and Leave a Voicemail: 860-343-5830
As always, our Career Development and Counseling Center has a robust online resource library to help you with career and major exploration, transfer planning, and searching for jobs on the CDCC website.
Counselors are also available by email to assist students:
Current MxCC students may join us each week day (M-F) from 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. for live chats and career develop and counseling help by clicking here.
The MxCC Listening Lounge is now available to support students virtually! The Listening Lounge offers free and confidential counseling services for MxCC students experiencing emotional and mental health issues throughout the academic year. To make an appointment, please use the booking calendar.
Magic Food Bus shoppers can go to Amazing Grace Food Pantry, located at 16 Stack Street in Middletown on Wednesdays and Fridays, 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Please indicate you are an MxCC member – bring your student or employee ID just in case.
Ship Back Your Rental Books!
Rental books are due back at the MxCC bookstore, which is closed. We’ve made it easy to return them!
Please check your rental account email for your rental reminder. In the rental reminder email is a link for a free FedEx shipping label and packing list. Print your free return label, and ship your books back to the bookstore as soon as possible. Be sure to print and include the packing slip along with your books. FedEx drop boxes are plentiful throughout the area, including at Walgreens, Staples, and, of course, FedEx. FedEx can also print labels and has free boxes at their stores or you may recycle a box from home.
Summer books are available online and currently shipping for free at mxcc-shop.com.
Thank you and stay safe!
The campus closure means that the Follett Bookstore located in Founders Hall is also closed. This has caused adjustments to how you will obtain, and return, course materials through our campus bookstore.
(Admissions, Registration, & Financial Aid)
Need to talk to someone in enrollment services? The following times have been designated for WebEx meetings with our Enrollment Services staff. They will be ready to chat about everything to do with applying to the college and enrolling for classes. Click on any of the days/times below during the designated times to join the chat.
If you would prefer, you may email Enrollment Services staff, they will respond in a timely manner. Please note that all official college business must be conducted via the student’s college assigned email.
If you need to reach the Financial Aid office, you may email or call 860-343-5741 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. Please note that all official college business must be conducted via the student’s college assigned email.
MxCC’s Financial Aid Office will offer “virtual” help sessions for current and prospective MxCC students who need help completing their 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or have FAFSA related questions. Students will meet remotely with a Financial Aid Representative via a WEBEX chat room. Students must be able to access the FAFSA website from their own computer to complete the application. We kindly ask that you visit the FAFSA site to create your FSA User ID (if you/parent does not already have one) and fill out as much of the FAFSA as you can, such as the demographic information, prior to the virtual meeting.
Questions about Continuing Education courses? Email them here.
Registration for Continuing Students- Summer & Fall 2020
Registration for the Summer and Fall semesters is now open for Continuing Students. Continuing Students only may register for fall and summer courses using the following instructions:
- Meet with their advisor virtually (email, WebEx, etc). See advising information below.
- Use the instructions to register themselves online or follow along with this video:
- Login to myCommNet.
- Access Banner Self-Service.
- Click “Registration/Schedule.”
- Select “Class Registration.”
- Select the term for registration, then submit.
- Enter your CRNs and click “Submit Changes” or click on the “Class Search” button to find courses.
- Once you see “Web Registered,” you are registered and payment must be initiated.
- Click “Billing/Payment” link at the top to initiate and follow the payment process. Click here to download instructions for paying online.
- If you run into issues – email MX-EnrollmentServices@mxcc.edu with questions.
- It is more important than ever to register ASAP – and you must use your student email for all communication.
Notice to students: Please be advised the the deadline to apply for graduation as been extended to May 1st, 2020.
Please also be advised the deadline to withdraw from a class/classes has also been extended until May 1st, 2020.
Need to meet with an academic advisor?
Advising faculty and staff are working remotely and can be contacted through email.
Current students should reach out to their assigned academic advisor (usually, your program coordinator). You can find your assigned advisor by logging into myCommNet and accessing “DegreeWorks” or by reaching out to Elizabeth Slupski (email@example.com). Search for individual faculty and staff email addresses in our employee directory.
New students can book an appointment through the Advising Appointment Calendar and will receive an email the next business day with information on how to connect to the WebEx virtual meeting. Students should have their Financial Aid/payment options finalized before the meeting as well as their English and math Placement (see Accuplacer webpage for more information https://mxcc.edu/take-accuplacer/). Students can email Mx-Advising@mxcc.edu with any questions.
- Community Resources
- 211: Find local help with food, substance abuse, income, legal assistance, mental health, youth, children and family, re-entry, health care, transportation, crisis, older adults, housing, utility assistance, and basic needs.
- CT Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
- CHR: CHR is the most comprehensive, non-profit behavioral healthcare provider in Connecticut, offering a wide range of personalized services for children, families and adults whose lives have been touched by mental illness, addiction or trauma.
- Mental Health Services Available in Connecticut
- Mental and Behavioral Health Resources in CT
- Free Internet:
- Please see the following information from Comcast. In light of the current COVID-19 concerns which has required many to work and study remotely, Comcast will be offering free internet for two months, for those who qualify: https://www.internetessentials.com/covid19
- Free Textbooks and Course Materials
- VitalSource has joined leading publishers to help ensure students can continue to access quality digital course materials due to a recent and rapid campus shift to distance-learning. Get FREE course materials and textbooks here.
- Adobe Creative Suite– Adobe has provided temporary at-home access for impacted students and faculty, so that they can continue their work remotely. Please follow the instructions found in this document to enable access to Creative Cloud Desktop Apps on your personal device.
- Dealing with Stress and Anxiety:
- Coronavirus Anxiety – Helpful Expert Tips and Resources
- How to Deal With Stress and Anxiety
- Feeling anxious? Take deep breaths in sync with this!
- FREE Yoga Videos on Youtube (Yoga with Adriene)
- 3 Yoga Breathing Exercises for Anxiety
- How to Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercise (3.5 minutes)
- www.insighttimer.com A great meditation app with the world’s largest FREE library of more than 30k guided meditations. Suggested guided meditations:
- Collective Healing Presence for Covid19
- Vitalizing our Immune System in Response to Coronavirus
- Staying Healthy During a Pandemic (Coronovirus)
- I am Safe
- Easy Daily Meditation for Stillness
- Mindfulness for Releasing Anxiety
- Peaceful/Sleep Meditation
- Practice for Calming Fear and Anxiety
- AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) – Taking care of your mental health in the face of uncertainty
- CDC (Center for Disease Control) – Resources for Mental Health and Coping
- SAMHSA – Coping with Stress
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-800-799-7233
- Virtual AA Meetings (directory) (by phone) (Zoom Meetings)
- Alcoholics Anonymous Information
- VirusAnxiety by Shine
- Health Insurance
- As the Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to threaten public health, Access Health CT announced it has extended the NEW SPECIAL ENROLLMENT PERIOD for these exceptional circumstances through April 17, 2020 for qualified UNINSURED Connecticut residents. To see if you qualify call between 8AM – 5PM, Monday – Friday at 1- 855-365-2428; TTY: 1-855-789-2428.