The Financial Aid Office needs 4-6 weeks to process and determine the eligibility of each student BEFORE awarding the aid package.
APPLY ONLINE AT WWW.FAFSA.GOV
IMPORTANT! A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED to apply for financial aid via www.FAFSA.gov. Computers are available for student use at MxCC’s Financial Aid Services office, the MxCC computer lab or the MxCC library. Free computers are often available at most public libraries, public high schools, adult education centers, or community centers.
FIRST – you must be accepted into a degree or eligible certificate program at MxCC! We cannot process your financial aid application until you are accepted. Visit our future students page or call 860-343-5719 for admissions questions.
MY.COMMNET.EDU is KEY!
Financial Aid Services at MxCC will send all communication to your college email (via the STUDENT EMAIL login at my.commnet.edu) to keep you informed. Please check your college email often!
NOTE: You may forward your college email to a personal email account.
KNOW YOUR FEDERAL STUDENT AID USER ID and Password
The FSA User ID will allow you to sign your federal student aid application online, saving processing time. At least one parent of a dependent student must also create an FSA User ID and password.
The Federal Student Aid ID and password is created when completing your FAFSA for the first time.The FSA User ID website is https://fsaid.ed.gov.
TRACK YOUR FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION
LOG IN TO MY.COMMNET – Grab your 8-digit number NetID number (your Banner ID) and password and log onto www.my.commnet.edu. Note: Your email is your NetID@student.commnet.edu. If you do not re-member your NetID, visit MxCC’s Records Office in Founder’s Hall.
ABOUT YOUR PASSWORD: Your initial pass-word is the first three characters of your birth month (with first letter capitalized), the “&” symbol, and the last four digits of your Social Security Number. Ex: Oct&6789. Once you log in, you will be prompted to change your password.
CLICK THE BANNER SELF-SERVICE LINK located at the top right of the screen and then click the “Financial Aid” link
MISSING DOCUMENTS? You will be able to download and print any documents you may need to complete your application requirements. You can mail or fax them, or drop them off at MxCC’s Financial Aid Services office.
We may email you with important financial aid information, so visit my.Commnet OFTEN to stay current with your financial aid information!
WHAT’S MY FINANCIAL AID AWARD?
Once your financial aid award has been issued, you can review it online at https://my.commnet.edu.
What will you need to fill out the FAFSA?
- Record of income earned in the PRIOR PRIOR Year (PPY) to when you will start school. Effective with the 2017-18 academic year, you are required to report federal income tax information from two years ago.
- Your social security number (SSN)
- Your driver’s license (if any)
- Your W-2 forms and other records of earnings
- Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return – IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040Telefile, foreign tax return, or tax return for Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia
- Your untaxed income records
- Current bank statements and records of stocks, bonds and other investments
- Your alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
DEPENDENT STUDENTS ALSO WILL NEED their parents’ Federal Income Tax Return and social security number(s).