GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded program that will help the current 8th graders in two of Meriden’s public middle schools (Washington and Lincoln) get ready for college. The services, which are free to participants, focus mainly on academic success and college readiness and exposure, and are provided to current 8th graders all the way through their first year in college.
- FREE college and career readiness at your school for students AND parents
Helps you start thinking about and preparing for college or post high school plans NOW
Supports you all the way through high school and into your first year of college!
GEAR UP’s Main Objectives Are:
- Increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of participating students
- Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in postsecondary education of participating students
- Increase educational expectations for participating students and increase student and family knowledge of postsecondary options, preparation, and financing.
How GEAR UP Helps You Prepare:
- Mentoring and Advising
- Academic Preparation
- Tutoring and Academic Support
- SAT Preparation
- Summer and After-School Activities
- Career Exploration and Preparation
- Exposure and Enrichment
- Field Trips, College Visits
- College Application and Financial Aid Assistance
- Financial Education
- And More!
Why Should You Participate in GEAR UP?
- GEAR UP participants have higher high school graduation and college enrollment rates
- College-going culture
- The earlier you start, the better!
To speak with someone about the MxCC-Meriden Public Schools GEAR UP partnership, please email Mx-GEARUP@mxcc.edu
Coming Up: GEAR UP Virtual Information Sessions!
Want to meet the staff and learn more about how GEAR UP can help your student? Make sure to tune in to an upcoming Info Session! There will be a Q&A to have all of your questions answered. A Google Meet link will be provided the day of the session. There will be more Info Sessions coming soon and those dates and times will be announced as they are scheduled. If you have any questions about the Info Sessions, contact our staff.
Check ParentSquare for dates/times and to sign up!
Coming Up: Math DEPOT Academic Support Program
Math DEPOT is a new GEAR UP program starting soon! Math skills are crucial to career and life success, and they open the door to high-paying jobs, especially in STEM. We are partnering with STEAM Train, a non-profit committed to moving generations to careers in STEM, to encourage students to Do Extra Preparation Over Time and build their math fundamentals, leading to success in 8th grade and beyond. This will be done through making math FUN while also aligning it with the math curriculum. If you participated in the GEAR UP Summer STEM Career Camp, you already know STEAM Train and met Math Depot’s teachers: Danielle and Julievette! Parents: Get your child help you can count on.
Registration info coming soon on ParentSquare!
GEAR UP Staff
Join Our Team
- GEAR UP Coordinator
- GEAR UP Tutor
Message to GEAR UP Families
Dear Grade 8 Families:
We are happy to inform you of a wonderful opportunity for your student. GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded grant from the US Department of Education awarded to Connecticut State Colleges & Universities (CSCU), which has partnered with Middlesex Community College and Meriden Public Schools to provide grant services. GEAR UP aims to support student success and promote college and career readiness and the main goals, among others, are to increase the number of students who graduate high school and enroll in college. All current Grade 8 students at Lincoln and Washington middle schools are eligible to receive GEAR UP services for FREE. In addition, GEAR UP services will move with the 8th graders all the way through high school and their first year of college.
GEAR UP has so much to offer your student in terms of academic success and college readiness. Some of the programs you can anticipate this year, or perhaps have already seen, include:
- Summer enrichment programming (GEAR UP Summer STEM Career Camp)
- PSAT Test Bootcamp with MasteryPrep
- Tutoring/Academic Support
- Math Support and Enrichment
- STEM Enrichment and Exposure
- College Knowledge Workshops/College Advising
- Information about financial aid for college
- GEAR UP has also funded the ALEKS assessment used in math classes, and will be providing various supplies to students, such as Virtual Survival Kits, Science/STEM Kits, and online graphing calculators!
In future years, as students move through high school, other services will include college visits, intensive support and advising with college and financial aid applications, a GEAR UP scholarship opportunity, information about affording college, and more!
Below you can find more information on GEAR UP and check this out to see what’s coming up! Watch this space for more info coming up, and we can’t wait to work with both you and your student to help them succeed in high school and beyond!
All the best,
GEAR UP Meriden Team
GEAR UP is a collaboration with:
The CT State Colleges & Universities (CSCU) has been awarded a $25.8 million Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) grant by the United States Department of Education (USDOE). CSCU has partnered with Middlesex Community College (MxCC), which will work in partnership with Meriden Public Schools to provide grant services.