Frequently Asked Questions

Below are many of the questions you may have as a student (or potential student) at Middlesex. You can use the "search" option to filter the table for specific questions.
What is an "Academic Advisor"?An Academic Advisor is a designated professional staff person to assist you with matters pertaining to your courses, program, or academic questions. Learn more about advising and find your advisor and make an appointment with them here.
What is the "Academic Calendar"?The Academic Calendar is the calendar of important dates at the College. It includes all the important dates that students need to know: first and last day of classes, campus closed dates, registration dates, exam dates, etc. but doesn't necessarily include student activities or other events happening on campus.See the MxCC Academic Calendar here.
What is "Academic Probation"?Academic probation is sanctions imposed on students for failure to perform satisfactorily in an academic program. Learn more about academic standing policies, including academic probation here.
What is "Academic Suspension"?Academic suspension is a form of academic discipline taken when a student’s grades fall below the minimum required for her/him to return for the next semester. Learn more about academic standing policies, including academic suspension here.
What does accreditation mean?Accreditation ensures that the College and its programs meet nationally recognized standards of excellence. Middlesex Community College is fully accredited by the New England Commission on Higher Education (NECHE), through its Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
What is the activity fee for?The activity fee is used to support Student Activities, clubs, the game room, co-curricular programs and student publications. All students pay an activity fee, which is currently set at $10 for part-time students and $20 per semester for full-time students.
What are "Adds" and "Drops?"These are phrases used to identify the process for making changes in your course schedule for the current or upcoming semester. This process is handled through the Enrollment Services Office during the first full week of school. Learn more about adding and dropping courses here.
What does "Administration" mean?"Administration" denotes those persons directly responsible for the policies and procedures of the institution, i.e., President, Deans, and some Directors.
What are "Articulation Agreements"?Articulation agreements are joint agreements between institutions of higher education regarding transfer admission requirements and evaluation of transfer credit. An agreement guarantees that courses taken at one of the participating institutions will be accepted by the other.
What is an "Associate in Arts Degree"?An Associate in Arts degree is a planned program of college study that generally requires a foreign language and all courses designated as liberal arts (generally referred to as a two-year program of study). However, some Associate in Arts degrees, like our Transfer Tickets, do not require foreign language courses.
What is an "Associate in Science Degree"?An Associate in Science degree is a planned program of college study that, generally, does not include a foreign language. This program may contain less required credit in liberal arts courses, and generally is referred to as a two-year program of study.
What does it mean to audit a course?A student auditing a course registers for a credit course but does not receive academic credit for it, does not take exams and does not receive a grade. Students have no requirements in the course. A student enrolled for audit cannot change to credit. Courses listed as “audit” on a transcript cannot be used to satisfy degree or program requirements. Learn more about auditing courses here.
What is a "Bachelor Degree"?A Bachelor degree is a planned program of college study that is generally twice as many credit as an Associate degree, and is usually referred to as a four-year program. Middlesex Community College does not offer Bachelor degrees.
What is a "Certificate Program"?A certificate program is a planned group of courses with fewer requirements than a college degree program which represents a selected body of knowledge.
What is CLEP?CLEP is an acronym for College Level Examination Program, a nationally recognized program through which students take comprehensive exams to earn college credit. See for specifics.
What is a College and Career Success course?Formerly called Freshman Seminar, the College and Career Success course is an introductory lecture series/discussion course for new students with an emphasis on developing learning strategies and critical thinking skills in preparation for more rigorous college study.
What is "Commencement"?Commencement is the formal ceremony recognizing completion of study and requirements for a degree or certificate. May also be referred to as graduation. Get ready for your commencement here.
What is Continuing Education/Workplace Development?Continuing Education/Workforce Development courses are designed to provide education, skill building and upgrading as well as career and personal development. They generally do not earn credits towards an associate degree or credit certificate. Likewise, the costs for these courses are different than credit courses, as is the application and registration process. The Certified Nurse Aide, Emergency Medical Technician, Pharmacy Technician, Veterinarian Assistant and Personal Trainer certificate programs are examples of the broad array of offerings. Please note, financial aid is not applied to Workforce Development courses, however, funding alternatives may be available to those that qualify.
What is a "Continuing Student"?A continuing student is any student that has taken at least a credited course within the last 2 years. This does not include those that only take summer and/or winter courses.
What are "Core Courses"?Course courses are a prescribed set of courses required for all students seeking a degree, generally including English, math, science, and social science courses. Check the college catalog
What is a "Course Schedule"?A course schedule is a listing of courses offered in a given semester. To see an upcoming semester's course schedule, use the Course Search tool on MyCommnet.
What are "Credit Hours" or "Semester Hours"?These are terms to describe the number of instructional hours spent in class per week; e.g., 3 credit/semester hours = 3 hours of class time spent in class per week for the whole semester.
What is "Credit for Prior Learning"?College credit for prior learning is an opportunity for students to transfer in courses and credits they have previously taken at other institutions. This also includes College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits, DSST/DANTE, and Advance Placement (AP) credits.
What is Credit Evaluation?Credit Evaluation is the determination of how courses from other colleges will be given credit at the college you are attending. Students can find more information regarding their credit evaluation and courses remaining in their program through Degree Works, located in their myCommNet student portal.
What are "Credit-Free Courses"?Credit-free courses are courses for personal growth, interest, or job needs that do not offer college credit. They are offered through our Workforce Development & Continuing Education Department.
What is Cumulative Grade Point Average?The cumulative grade point average is an historic and numerical index of all coursework completed at MxCC. Grades earned at other institutions are not included in the calculation of the cumulative GPA.
What is Curriculum?A curriculum is a set pattern of required courses that lead to a degree in a specified program.
What is the Dean's List?The Dean's List is a designation of honor for exemplary academic achievement, awarded each semester. To make this list, students must achieve a grade point average of 3.4 or higher for all courses taken during the semester at the completion of 12 or more credits. A course withdrawal or Incomplete shall make the student ineligible for Dean's List recognition that semester.
What is a "Degree Seeking Student"?A degree-seeking student is one who has completed the college admissions process and who has been accepted into a degree or certificate program. Acceptance into a degree or certificate program indicates that a student has a specific academic goal.
What are developmental courses?Developmental courses are designed to enhance students’ skills to the level needed for success in subsequent college work. Developmental courses may not earn college credit or be eligible towards degree requirements outside of open electives.
What are directed electives?Directed electives are courses that are chosen from a specific list required by a major or program.
What are electives?Electives are any courses used to fulfill unspecified requirements for graduation.
What are "Elementary/Intermediate Levels"?Elementary denotes entry-level course work and intermediate level courses require certain level of course/skill competency.
What is ESL?ESL stands for "English as a Second Language." Students are recommended for ESL training according to their placement scores when English is not their first language.
What is "Faculty"?Faculty are the professors and lecturers who teach courses. Find a faculty member using our college directory.
What is FAFSA?FAFSA is an acronym for Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( Students who want to be considered for financial aid must fill out this form.
What is full-time?A student is considered to be “full-time” during the Fall and/or Spring semesters if enrolled in 12 or more semester hours. A student enrolled in less than 12 semester hours during Fall and/or Spring, is considered “part-time”.
What is GPA (Grade Point Average)?Grade Point Average (GPA) is a numerical average indicating how well a student has done in college-level courses. At Middlesex, this average is based on a four-point scale ranging from 0.0 (F) to 4.0 (A) and is computed by dividing total quality points earned by the total credits attempted. GPA is often used as one indicator of eligibility for further study.
What are General Education Requirements?General Education Requirements are courses in the humanities, mathematics, social sciences, and natural sciences that comprise about 1/3 of any academic curriculum. Core courses are intended to provide a broad foundation in the liberal arts. Learn more here.
What are Graduation Honors?Recognition is given at Commencement for earning Cumulative GPAs of:
3.4 to 3.69 - Honors
3.7 to 3.89 - High Honors
3.9 to 4.0 - Highest Honors
What is "Graduation"?Graduation is the matriculation into, and completion of all requirements in, an associate degree or certificate program with a minimum of 2.0 cumulative GPA. Middlesex's graduation ceremony, called Commencement is held at the end of the spring semester each academic year. A graduation checklist must be submitted to the Enrollment Services Office by December 1 for Fall graduates and April 15 for Spring/Summer Graduates to be considered for graduation. There is no fee to apply for graduation. Get ready for your graduation/commencement here.
What is a grant?A grant is financial assistance through federal and state programs that do not have to be repaid. More information about grants can be found here.
What is the Honors Program?The Honors program at Middlesex is a liberal arts curriculum designed to challenge a specific group of students who have been accepted to the program. Learn more here.
What are "Humanities"?Humanities courses refer to courses in art, communications, English, languages, music, and philosophy.
What does "Incomplete" mean?An "Incomplete" is a temporary grade assigned at the end of a semester by a faculty member when coursework is missing, and the student agrees to complete the work by a specified date.
What is Intersession?Intersession is a shorter session of three-credit classes offered between the fall and spring semesters. Middlesex offers summer and winter intersession classes each year.
What are the "Liberal Arts"?Liberal Arts refer to courses in humanities, math, science and social sciences.
What is a loan?A loan is financial assistance that must be repaid. More information about loans can be found here.
What is a "Major"?A major is a specific discipline a student undertakes while in college; e.g., Business, Human Services, Fine Arts, etc.
What is "Non-traditional"?Non-traditional is a term describing students who are 25 years or older and have been out of school for several years.
What is a passing grade?A passing grade depends on the class. Typically a D- or above is passing. However, you can "pass" with a D-, but for some subjects (like math for example), you may need a C or better in a course in order to get into upper level courses.
What is "Part-time"?Part-time denotes enrollment in fewer than 12 credit hours in any given semester. Students taking 12 or more credits in a semester is considered "full time."
What is "Placement Testing"?The phrase "Placement Testing" refers to the Accuplacer which assesses a student’s ability in English and math. Based upon these scores students are placed in the appropriate English and math courses. Students who do not initially seek a degree or certificate but who register for a course that would result in the accumulation of 12 or more credits must also take the placement test.
What is plagiarism?Plagiarism is claiming the work of someone else as your own. The act of using another person's words or ideas without giving credit to that person. -Mirriam Webster.
What is (Academic) Probation?Academic probation is a form of academic discipline taken when a student does not meet certain academic standards. For specifics, refer to thecollege catalog.)
What is Proficiency?Proficiency refers to skills and/or content competency in relation to a particular subject.
What is a prerequisite?A prerequisite is a course or the subject/skills needed prior to enrolling in a specific course, e.g., English 101 is required before taking English 215.
What are "Quality Points"?Quality points are the numerical value of a letter grade: A=4.0; A-=3.7; B+=3.3; B=3.0; B-=2.7; C+=2.3; C=2.0; C-=1.7; D+=1.3; D=1.0; D-=0.7; F=0.0. To ascertain the quality points for a course, you multiply the number of semester hours of the course times the grade value earned in the course (e.g., Biology 100 is 3 semester hours and with a grade of B+ it would be 3 x 3.3 = 9.9 quality points).
What is a "Readmit Student"?A readmit student is any former student who has been absent from the college for more than two years.
What does a Registrar do?The Registrar maintains records relating to registration, grades, and your enrollment/status as a student.
What is "Registration"?Registration is the process of officially enrolling in courses after appropriate academic advising and payment of tuition and fees. Registration information can be found here.
What is SAR?SAR is the acronym for Student Aid Report, a federal form indicating a student’s eligibility for financial aid.
What is the SAT?SAT is the acronym for the Scholastic Aptitude Test, a pre-college assessment exam, usually taken in high school.
What is a Schedule?A schedule is a listing of courses offered in a given semester. Your schedule reflects each course you are registered for.
What are Scholarships?Scholarships are financial awards which don't need to be repaid, given on a competitive basis. Visit our Scholarships page to find a list of available scholarships.
What are the Sciences?Science courses are in biology, chemistry, environmental science, and physical science.
What is Selective Admissions?Selective Admissions is a process used to evaluate a set of criteria for entrance into a specialized program; e.g., Human Services, OD&D and Radiologic Technology, and Veterinary Technology. Learn about available Selective Admissions programs at Middlesex here.
What is a semester?A semester is a period of academic instruction into which an academic year is divided. Middlesex has fall and spring semesters, as well as winter and summer intersessions.
What are "Semester Hours"?Semester Hours are the number of instructional hours spent in class per week; e.g., 3 semester hours = 3 hours of class time spent in class per week for the whole semester.
What is a "Sequence"?A sequence or course sequence is the recommended course progression within a degree or certificate program. Following this arrangement ensures timely completion of the academic program.
What are Social Sciences?Social Science courses are courses in anthropology, economics, history, political science, psychology, social science, and sociology.
What is a specialization?A specialization is the particular competency area within a given discipline; e.g., Business - Accounting.
What is the Student Handbook?The Student Handbook is part of the Middlesex website designed to inform students of the College's various services, policies, and programs. Find the Student Handbook here.
What is a Student ID Number?Your Student ID is your personal ID number that gives access to My.Commnet.Edu email, Blackboard, campus computers and wifi, and other online services. To learn more, watch this short video
What is a Student Photo ID card?Each MxCC student needs to obtain and carry their student photo identification (ID) card to enter the buildings at Middlesex and MxCC@Platt. The ID also serves as a library card and can be used to borrow resources from the Academic Success Center and Student Activities Office. The ID card, along with your student U-Pass will allow free bus and rail transportation in CT.
What is a Syllabus?An information document provided by the instructor, generally containing a course description, class attendance and grading policies, reading assignments, due dates, test dates, etc.
What is TBA?TBA is an abbreviation, commonly found in the course schedule, for the phrase “to be announced.”
What is a transcript?A transcript is an official academic record of a student’s grades and accumulated credits. Information about obtaining your Middlesex transcript can be found here.
What is a transfer?Transfer refers to the process of student movement from one academic institution to another. Click here for more information about transferring.
What is a waiver?A waiver is a process whereby a required course can be substituted for another course.
What is a Withdrawal?A withdrawal or withdrawing from a class is the process of removing a course from one’s schedule after the Add/Drop period. Learn more about withdrawals and download withdrawal form here.
What is Work Study?Work-study is a need-based, financial aid program in which students work, on or off campus, as part of their financial aid package. Learn more about work-study here.