- Application Process
- Veteran’s Education Benefits
- On-Campus Resources
- Translating Military Transcripts and Experience
- Local Resources
- Important Links
- Additional Resources
- Important Numbers
- In the News
If you’re a veteran, MxCC is a great place to build upon your education and training! In fact, there are over 200 veterans attending MxCC!
Since 2012, MxCC has been recognized as a Military Friendly School, which honors the top 15 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace America’s military service members, veterans, and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
We have many support services for military members and veterans, detailed below.
We are here to help you make the transition to college. We have an onsite veteran representative to assist you with the application process and paying for college. Click here for more information.
Learn more about the Veteran’s Memorial Garden
Veterans and students eligible for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits must complete the college’s application procedures for degree or certificate students. In addition, such students must contact the College VA representative, Cynthia Valencia, 860.343.5720. Reservists eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 1606) must contact the College VA Representative and supply the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) form in order to file for benefits. CT tuition waiver may apply to some veterans.
All students who will use VA benefits must be enrolled at Middlesex as degree or certificate-seeking students. New students must have military and civilian education evaluated by the college. Since Veterans Administration benefits cover only courses, which do not replicate previously gained credit, students receiving VA benefits are advised to submit their separation (DD214) and/or educational transcripts for an evaluation of Military Learning and/or transfer credits.
Continued eligibility for benefits is contingent upon the student complying with college regulations and conformance with program of study requirements. Only courses required for degree or certificate completion are covered by VA benefit programs. Additional courses selected by the student become the financial responsibility of the student.
- More info on the Veterans Admission Page: https://mxcc.edu/future-students/veterans/
- VA Educational Benefits Student Registration & Advising Procedures Checklist
- Veterans’ O.A.S.I.S.: (Operation Academic Support for Incoming Service Members) a place to meet, socialize, study, learn about services available – located in the Jean Burr Smith Library
- Veterans Club
- Career Development & Counseling Center: employment, academic and transfer advising, referral services, workshops
- Financial Aid; VA Work-Study
- Veterans Outreach Coordinator: CT Veteran Tuition Waiver
- Learning Center: Academic Support Services
- MxCC Foundation Darrell D. and Julia Stark Scholarship for Student Veterans
The Veteran’s OASIS Center (Operation Academic Support for Incoming Service Members) is an available space at MxCC that is open to help veterans and military service men and women with their academic studies, as well as create a friendly environment where veterans can interact amongst themselves and integrate into school and society.
The OASIS Center features computers, a room for studying, and an open lounge area where veterans can network and socialize, as well as study.
The OASIS Center is located in Chapman Hall, room 715. It is open Monday-Thursday 9 a.m.-8 p.m., Friday 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m., and Saturday 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. The center is open to all veterans. For additional information please contact, Peter Galgano, veterans outreach coordinator, at (860)343-5797 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MxCC Veterans’ Club is a club for veterans by veterans that support each other. Veterans can socialize, network, study, and share their experiences. The Veterans’ Club gives back to the community with events such as hot dog fundraisers and making care packages for troops. For more information, contact Peter Galgano, veterans outreach coordinator, at (860) 343-5797 or email@example.com.
- Veteran Employment Services Unit: Assisting student veterans in Personalized Employment Counseling, Skills Assessment, career coaching, education and training opportunities, resume preparation and assistance, employment workshops.
- CT Department of Veterans’ Affairs: Veterans’ Info Line – 866.9CT.VETS (866.928.8387)
- CT Military Support Program: Provides free, confidential locally available counseling services to National Guard and Reserve personnel and their family members
- Wesleyan University: Veterans Endowed Scholarship Fund
- The U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs
- State of Connecticut Department of Veteran’s Affairs
- Connecticut Department of Higher Education Veteran’ Program Approval
- GI Education Forms
- U.S. Veteran Affairs Mental Health: Check your Mental Health page(includes Trauma Symptom Checklist, Screening Assessments, Where to Get Help
- Veterans Crisis Line: includes Self-check quizzes, confidential chat info
- Military OneSource: vast resources and articles related to separation and transition, career exploration, policies, legislation social media tools, support, numerous links
- Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services
- Need to translate your Military Experience to Civilian Experience?
- OEF/OIC/OND Returning Service Members
- eVeteran Affairs – E-Benefits Online Veterans Employment Center: One-Stop-Shop Connects Veterans, Transitioning Service Members, and their Spouses to Employers.
- Catalogs and Schedules
- Guide to Online Military Student Resources
- College Guide for U.S. Service Members
- Military Spouses
- Veterans and Mesothelioma
Associate Registrar: Joanne Faust – 860-343-5890
Veteran Certifying Official: Cynthia Valencia – 860-343-5720
Veteran Outreach Coordinator: Peter Galgano- 860-343-5797, Cell- 860-604-7258
Financial Aid: 860-343-5741
Post-9/11 GI Bill®: Toll Free 1-888-442-4551 https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/4731
In the News
- MxCC Voted a Gold Level Military Friendly School
- Middlesex Community College students collect items to send to troops – The Middletown Press
- MxCC Veterans Club Sponsor Tree- The Courant
- OASIS Center Opens – Berlin, CT Patch
- Veterans Memorial Garden Dedicated at Middlesex Community College