Advising Mission Statement:
Our mission is to advise students as they explore and plan their academic, career, and life goals.
Advisors help students develop a meaningful educational path, compatible with their goals, and support student learning and success. Consideration of each student as a unique individual with unique needs is recognized as the foundation of our advising program. We approach advising as a collaborative effort between the student and advisor.
Student & Advisor Expectations:
Academic advisors guide students in determining possible careers, majors, and course offerings, with careful attention to institutional policies and degree requirements. Effective advising also assists students in identifying available internal and external resources that will have a positive impact on their experience at Middlesex Community College. Ultimately, students are responsible for making decisions regarding their education.
Students are expected:
- To reflect on their academic, career, and life goals
- To reach out and connect to their advisor/Program Coordinator in the first semester
- To review General Education and program degree requirements
- To monitor their semester and degree progress, bringing any questions or concerns to the attention of their advisor
Advisors are expected:
- To help student explore their academic, career, and life goals
- To counsel students on career, major, course, and transfer options
- To help students navigate the campus and available resources
- To ask questions of and listen to the student
- To reach out to students periodically throughout the semester
Academic Advising Steps at MxCC
In order to register for courses, you must first meet with your academic advisor. Each student is assigned a faculty advisor and a Guided Pathways Advisor (staff advisor). Students can meet with one or both of their assigned advisors. These are the 5 steps needed to complete the advising process:
Helpful Links for Students
- English Placement Sequence
- English and Math Placement Information
- Tuition & Fees
- Course Descriptions
- Course Schedule
(Faculty & Staff advisors, click here for advising tools)
Location and Contact Information:
To schedule an appointment with your Guided Pathways Advisor: https://mxcc.edu/advising/appointment/
To schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor, please email them. Search for individual faculty email addresses in our employee directory.
Creating an Academic Plan
Why should I create an Academic Plan and how?
- Look through the catalog yourself (online). View the degree programs and their requirements. Select one that best fits your interests and future goals.
- Use the graduation checklists to develop a semester-by-semester plan of courses you will take. Be sure to include developmental math or English (if needed) and any pre-requisite courses that may not be listed on the checklists.
- Set up a meeting with an academic advisor. All full-time faculty are academic advisors. Even though you are assigned an advisor after your first registration, you can choose any faculty member to be your advisor. Contact your advisor by phone or through e-mail (directory).
- When you meet with your advisor, be sure to bring several things with you. First, you should have some idea what it is that you want to do with your degree. Advisors do not choose careers for their advisees; they help their advisees meet their educational goals. Your advisor can go through your initial semester-by-semester plan and help guide you through the completion of your degree.
- Follow the plan. Once you have details worked out that consider pre-requisites, recommended course sequences, transfer requirements, and required courses…stick with the plan. You can always change your mind and your major, but if you plan to keep the same degree path, you need to follow this plan and you will successfully complete your coursework.
Advising for Continuing Students
Continuing students should use the instructions on our “How to Register as a Continuing Student” page to register for classes.How to Register as a Continuing Student
For New Students
New students who have applied and been accepted to the college and have completed steps 1-4 outlined on the Becoming a Student page are ready to complete New Student Orientation and the Advising Form.
Need to Send Us a Document?
MxCC students may now upload documents to a secure user portal for Admissions, Advising, Financial Aid, and Registrar offices. To access, use your Connecticut Community College account to login and then choose Middlesex Community College.
Need help? Download the User Guide