As a new student to the college, you are bound to have questions. New Student Orientation is your most effective first step towards getting your questions answered, and we are here to help. Whether you are taking one class or several, to earn a degree with us or transfer, or for personal enrichment or career advancement, MxCC has the resources to assist you in accomplishing your goals.
All New, Transfer ad Readmit students are expected to participate in New Student Orientation. As a result of the COVID 19 pandemic, we have moved our New Student Orientation to an online format by providing you with a series of videos and short survey that will help you get started at MxCC.
Prior to New Student Orientation, we ask that you have completed the MxCC Admission’s Application, Financial Aid, Submit Official High School Transcripts and Other Prior College Transcripts (if applicable), Complete the Accuplacer to verify English and Math Placement.
Once you have clicked submit at the end of the MxCC’s Online New Student Orientation Video Series and Survey, please follow these next steps:
- Check that you can log into commnet.edu
- Example: firstname.lastname@example.org —NETID Support
- Once on MyCommnet, verify you can access Blackboard and your Student College Email
- Review the Student Handbook for information regarding general campus information, academic policies, academic support, money management, student life, and student support.
- Verify Financial Aid Award and review MxCC Paying for College PDF / Financial Aid Checklist
- Verify English and Math placement
- Connect with an advisor to discuss registration for the fall. Prepare to Meet with your Advisor
New Students (students who have not attended college previously)
New Student Virtual Advising Appointment
Continuing/Returning Students (students currently/have taken classes at MxCC),
Readmit Students (students that have been out for more than two years),
Transfer-in Students (students that have prior college experience)
Continuing/Returning, Readmit, and Transfer-in Virtual Student Appointment
ADDITIONAL STUDY INFORMATION AND SUPPORTS
These links can help you better prepare for your college future, review the various content areas below to discover ways you can stay on the right track during the semester.
- Difference Between High School and College-PDF
- Difference Between Part-Time and Full-Time Enrollment-PDF
- General Education Requirements
- MxCC Pathway to Success Chart
- MxCC’s Civility Statement
- Read: Textbook Info: Follett’s Bookstore at Middlesex – Demystified
- Understanding the Syllabus
- How to Succeed in College
Signed up for ONLINE, LRON, HYBRID, or OCLR classes this fall and not sure how to get started?
Attend a Tech Trail session where our Distance Learning/Educational Technology team will provide virtual training to MxCC students for students on how to:
- Login to and use myCommnet to search for courses, access schedules and grades, and find library resources
- Use Blackboard
- Access email via Office 365
- Get help from various MxCC support offices such as Distance Learning, Information Technology, Library, and the Records Office
Click Here to take a tour of our MxCC’s Jean Burr Smith Library. This virtual library orientation provides you with the following information:
- Familiarity with the virtual resources and services MxCC Library offers and how to access them
- How to get research support: subject/course guides, databases, tutorials, librarians
- How to search for library items, how to access your account, and how to renew items
- How to get help from a librarian