Welcome to the Academic Success Center
The Academic Success Center is available for online tutoring for MxCC students. We are committed to helping you achieve your academic goals.
Please see the following instructions below for requesting online tutoring and submitting a paper for review. We use Microsoft Teams for online tutoring, which is part of Office 365.
If you need assistance or are having difficulty accessing the Online ASC, please email Lisa Knapp-Wilson at email@example.com (Mon - Fri, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm). We look forward to getting to know you!
The Academic Success Center is dedicated to supporting the educational mission of Middlesex Community College by providing academic support to the college’s enrolled students. Through individualized and group tutoring, we help students work toward their potential in a welcoming and encouraging environment where learning is the priority, personal growth and development are nurtured, and long-term success is supported. Our goal is to help students become confident and competent independent learners.
Math, Chemistry, Physics & English Tutor: John G.
English Tutor: Eva-Larue Barber
English Tutor: Louis
Math & Statistics Tutors: Kam Cheng
English Tutor: Riley McConnell
Chemistry, Physics & Math Tutor: Rachel Christiana
Math & Statistics Tutor: Suzanne Wall
English, Biology & Chemistry Tutor: Jack Howell
English & Chemistry Tutor: Ethan Rossier
Math, Biology, Chemistry & Physics Tutor: Stewart
English Tutor: Dan Barry
English Tutor: Isabella Merlini
Math, Biology & Chemistry Tutor: Libby McLean
The Academic Success Center offers tutoring to MxCC students at no additional cost throughout the fall and spring semesters.
Here are some guidelines that will ensure you have a positive tutoring experience—please familiarize yourself with them before receiving tutoring:
What We Will Do:
- Provide you with assistance outside of the classroom to build a better understanding of the subject matter and develop study skills.
- Help you understand the concepts/techniques needed to become a self-sufficient learner.
- Model study strategies to make you a stronger learner in all content areas.
- Clarify specific problems that you come in with.
- Build your confidence so that you can approach future class work with certainty.
- Offer one-on-one or group tutoring sessions as long as tutors are available.
- Encourage you to work independently once strategies/techniques have been explained.
- Treat you with courtesy and respect during the tutoring process.
- Ask you to fill out a brief survey at the end of the semester to provide us with feedback on our services so that we can continue to improve.
What We Will NOT Do:
- Tutors will not do your homework for you or provide test or quiz answers.
- Tutors will not "fix" or edit your papers, but we will help you learn how to find and correct your own mistakes so that you become a better writer.
- Tolerate behavior that is counterproductive to the tutoring process and/or distracting to others in the Academic Success Center.
- Be able to help you if you arrive completely unprepared or unwilling to do your own work.
- Always be able to offer individual tutoring sessions (especially in math and chemistry).
What YOU Will Need To Do:
- Check the schedule to find a time that works for you.
- Sign in and out whenever you visit the Academic Success Center so that we can track student usage.
- Bring your class syllabus, class notes, class texts, and specific assignment.
- Arrive with specific questions.
- Do as much work as you can in advance. This means you MUST at least attempt assignments before you come in seeking help.
- Be willing to work independently after a tutor has gone over a concept with you.
- Understand that often one tutor is circulating among a handful of students. Be courteous and patient!
- Remember that no one (even our highly qualified tutors) knows everything. Tutors may need to review the materials themselves. Please be patient with them.
- Report any problems regarding our tutors or services immediately to a front desk associate.
- Finally, please DO NOT wait until the last minute for tutoring! Start coming for help early in the semester and DO NOT wait until the assignment is due. We cannot emphasize that enough.
Remember, ultimately you are responsible for what you learn--take advantage of all opportunities!
- Beliefs That Make You Fail...Or Succeed
- What Students Should Know About How People Learn
- Cognitive Principles for Optimizing Learning
- Putting Principles for Learning into Practice
- I Blew the Exam, Now What?
- Sharpen your Time Management Skills for Final Exam Preparation
|Subject||Study Aid Sites|
|Communication & Speech||Tips for Success|
Glossary of Communication Terms
|Computer Science & Engineering||How to Study Computer Science|
Grammar Practice Quizzes
Grammar rules, practice & More
Grammatical Terms, Explanations, & Practice
|Health Fields (Nursing)||Medical Encyclopedia|
|Life Sciences (including Biology)||Writing Lab Reports|
Life Science Glossary
|Math & Statistics||Solving Word Problems|
|Political Science, Government, History||Studying History|
|Psychology||Psychology 101 Tips|
|Social Sciences||Glossary of Terms|
What is Academic Coaching?
Academic coaching is a unique 1-on-1 service that helps students examine their academic concerns and perceived barriers to success. Academic Coaches provide individual semester-long support, help students assess strengths and needs, and focus on helping individuals reach their academic potential.
How can an Academic Coach help you?
- Set short- and long-term goals, while developing the skills needed to achieve those goals.
- Review strategies for success and persistence (goal setting, time management, study strategies, etc.).
- Assist students as they form action plans to complete coursework and the semester.
- Tutor in Math (MAT 095) or English (ENG096, ENG093, ENG101-099A ALP, ENG101E, ENG101).
- Provide regular follow up with students.
Who uses our service?
Any student who needs one-on-one support with services we provide. Students can meet with an Academic Coach regularly (once a week, once every two weeks, once a month) or meet for a specific need.
Interested in meeting with an Academic Coach?
Academic coaching is available through virtual 1-on-1 meetings with a professional academic coach. Please click the link below and fill out the form to request an Academic Coach; Once you request a coach you can expect to hear from us regarding your first meeting.
What to expect from your coaching session
Initial coaching appointments typically last an hour. At the first appointment, your Academic Coach assesses your needs and makes recommendations. The Coach may recommend follow-up appointments, referrals to academic support services, and assignments designed to develop effective learning strategies or time management skills. If follow-up sessions are needed, the Coach monitors your progress and works with you to create and develop success strategies.
Making the most of your Academic Coaching
Academic coaching is designed to help you achieve your goals. The more you think about what you would like from the service, the more beneficial an appointment can be.
- Remember coaching is what YOU want it to be. If you feel the conversation is not helpful or going the direction you want, be sure to ask the Coach to change gears! We want to make sure you find the appointment useful.
- Spend some time reviewing what you talked about with your Coach. Make sure to think about what actionable steps you will commit to this week. Remember we cannot change everything at once, try to pick one small step.
- Check-in with yourself during the week after your appointment and ask these questions.
- What progress have you made?
- If you feel stuck, what did you notice about what did not go as planned?
- Any other observations or insights you have made since then?
- Are there other resources I should continue to check out besides academic coaching to support my academic goals? Like tutoring or attending a workshop?
- Always remember you can contact your Academic Coach with any additional questions you might have after your appointment.