What is the Magic Food Bus?
Officially opened on September 21, 2016, the Magic Food Bus seeks to alleviate the challenges of food insecurity faced by college students and their families. The bus provides non-perishable food items, toiletries, and other items to MxCC students and staff. The bus is operated by the students of the college and volunteers.
As of December 2016, the Magic Food Bus has had 210 shoppers, and helped 724 household members.
The Magic Food Bus distributed 1,662 pounds of goods.
Listen to the radio show
The Magic Food Bus in the News
- New Food Pantry Provides for Staff, Students at Middlesex Community College (Hartford Courant)
- Connecticut Community Colleges Open Food Pantries for Students and Faculty (WNPR)
- United Way: MxCC Magic Food Bus opens for students facing food insecurity (Middletown Press)
- Magic Food Bus to feed hungry, offer food security at MxCC (Middletown Press)
- United Way: Community college students struggle with hunger, transportation (Middletown Press)
- Food Pantry on Wheels Coming To Middlesex Community College (Middletown Patch)
Hours of Operation
Please Note: During the summer, the Magic Food Bus will be open only from noon-5pm on Wednesdays.
The Magic Food Bus is open throughout the academic year. It is located in the upper parking lot at the MxCC Middletown campus next to Snow Hall. In winter and summer months, the pantry is located in Founders Hall, second floor, upstairs from the Student Lounge.
For the duration of the Spring 2019 semester, the Magic Food Bus has expanded to MxCC@Platt. Grab and Go items are readily available daily. Students fill out a food request form and we process the form at our Middletown Campus and transport the food to MxCC@Platt the next day.
A survey of about 4,000 students across 10 community colleges nationwide found that more than half suffered from some level of food insecurity.
During the 2016-2017 academic year, we served about 362 unduplicated students from 33 communities.
During the 2017-2018 academic year, we served about 380 unduplicated students from 48 communities (41% from Middletown CT), distributing a total of 4,303 units of food!
Make a Difference!
One in every seven Americans faces food insecurity.
You can help change that.
The Magic Food Bus is funded in part through grants from the Community Foundation of Middlesex County and the City of Middletown and the generosity of many other individuals.