What is the Magic Food Bus?
The Magic Food Bus is a mobile food pantry serving the students and staff at Middlesex Community College. Inspired by a similar pantry at Norwalk Community College, Professor Judith Felton headed the effort to bring something similar to the MxCC community. After purchasing a bus with grant funds, it was renovated by students at Vinal Technical High School and soon brought to the Middletown campus. The coordinator for the Magic Food Bus is Trenton Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Any questions, please call Trenton Wright at 860-343-5708.
Officially opened on September 21, 2016, the Magic Food Bus seeks to alleviate the challenges of food insecurity faced by college students and their families. The bus provides non-perishable food items, toiletries, and other items to MxCC students and staff. The bus is operated by the students of the college and volunteers.
As of December 2016, the Magic Food Bus has had 210 shoppers, and helped 724 household members.
The Magic Food Bus distributed 1,662 pounds of goods.
The Magic Food Bus in the News:
- New Food Pantry Provides for Staff, Students at Middlesex Community College (Hartford Courant)
- Connecticut Community Colleges Open Food Pantries for Students and Faculty (WNPR)
- United Way: MxCC Magic Food Bus opens for students facing food insecurity (Middletown Press)
- Magic Food Bus to feed hungry, offer food security at MxCC (Middletown Press)
- United Way: Community college students struggle with hunger, transportation (Middletown Press)
- Food Pantry on Wheels Coming To Middlesex Community College (Middletown Patch)
A survey of about 4,000 students across 10 community colleges nationwide found that more than half suffered from some level of food insecurity.
According to Feeding America’s 2014 Hunger in America report, roughly 10% of its 46.5 million adult clients are college students.
During the 2017-2018 academic year, we served about 380 unduplicated students from 48 communities (41% from Middletown CT), distributing a total of 4,303 units of food!
Make a Difference!
One in every seven Americans faces food insecurity. You can help change that.
The Magic Food Bus is funded in part through grants from the Community Foundation of Middlesex County and the City of Middletown and the generosity of many other individuals.