Scholarships are not only a way to pay for college; they are also a way to recognize students for their achievements. Scholarship opportunities are plentiful but finding them takes a bit of work. This site is a compilation of scholarship resources; some well-known, extensive scholarship databases, some nationally awarded, employer sponsored, or college awarded scholarships and those for students of different backgrounds and studies.
The Career Development & Counseling Center and Financial Aid offices receive scholarship opportunity listings. Some are included here; some may have been received after the last site update; it is wise to check periodically. The CD&CC also has multiple scholarship resource directories and handbooks that simplify the process of hunting down scholarships on the Internet. They offer advice on how to narrow the field of potential programs down to ones where you have a good chance of winning an award. MxCC also recommends visiting the Education & Employment Information Center site, a free statewide clearinghouse operated by the Office of Higher Education. www.ctohe.org/edinfo. It has an extensive Financial Aid Resources listing. Professors, counselors and Deans may also have scholarship information that is not advertised or available on the list. Don’t be afraid to ask! There are many resources available!!
Finding and applying for scholarships requires motivation and effort. Most scholarships require an essay or two. Writing on an assigned topic or about your accomplishments and communicating how your skills or experience may match the sponsor’s requirements is a valuable skill that will serve you well in the future. Many scholarships also require recommendations; learning how to ask for and obtain letters of support is also a valuable skill. Take the application process seriously and leave yourself enough time to present yourself in the best possible professional light. Know that faculty and staff will be happy to guide you through the process. Don’t miss the opportunity to help fund your education and build your credentials; learn about the resources available and go for it!
MXCC SPECIFIC SCHOLARSHIPS
- MxCC Scholarship Foundation awards scholarships annually to MxCC students. Most of the awards require a GPA of 3.0. More than $150,000 in scholarships has been awarded to students over a five year period. The awards range in value from $500 on up and are granted from donations of generous individuals, businesses, services and charitable foundations. Foundation scholarships will be advertised via faculty, bulletin board postings, college monitors, MxCC Facebook page, and the college website. www.mxcc.edu/foundation/scholarships/scholarship-descriptions/
- Artists for World Peace is an artist’s fund at MxCC in the Art/Fine Arts, Multi-media, Digital Arts, Music, Theatre, and Broadcast Cinema courses –Applications are available at the Meriden Welcome Center and in various campus offices.Contact Professor Donna Bontatibus, Humanities and Arts Chair (860) 343- 5802
- The Connecticut Environmental Health Association (CEHA) is pleased to announce that two scholarships are available to CEHA members and their children/spouses.
CONNTAC, Inc. offers a scholarship to students every year. If students are eligible please refer them to the Educational Counselor nearest you to assist with the application process. Prospective recipients must be a documented participant of CONNTAC in order to for their scholarship application to be considered by the Board of Directors’ Scholarship Committee.
- Mary Klaaren Scholarship – Deadline May 16, 2016
South Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, of Middletown is offering a scholarship award of $750 to commemorate the 27 years of pastoral service by the Reverend Dr. Mary D. Klaaren. Her ministry exemplified strong commitment not only to the church but to the Middletown community as well.
- Professional Women in Construction- Connecticut Chapter
NATIONALLY AWARDED SCHOLARSHIPS
- http://www.beskinhost.com/scholarship/ Applicants should complete a 1,500-2,000 words essay on skin care topic. A panel of BeSkinHost’s leaders will choose 3 finalists. Finalists will participate in a phone interview. The top finalist will be awarded the $1,500 scholarship, which can be used for any educational expenses. Applications will be accepted from April 10, 2017 to November 25, 2017 (11:59 p.m. MT).
- Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance Scholarship We’ll be awarding $4,000 per semester to a student that has dealt with cancer, personally or within their family, in an effort to help them further their education.
- Emergency Lights Co. is offering a $1,000 scholarship, and is accepting entries until December 2014. You can find more information about the scholarship on their website here.
- Cafe Bustelo® El Café Del Futuro Scholarship Essay Contest stems from the desire to support the communities that have used Café Bustelo coffee as a staple in their homes for decades. Eligible students nationwide can apply for a chance to win one of nine $5,000 college scholarships.
- Growth Everywhere Scholarship
Amount of Award: $500
Deadline: December 15, 2015
Who can apply?: Anyone attending a college
How to apply? Write an 800-word essay about your personal growth from those high school days to right now!
- Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship– [PTK Students, take notice!] Jack Kent Cooke Foundation is a highly selective scholarship opportunity nationwide. Privately funded, students can receive up to $30,0000 to attend a 4 year accredited college or university. Students must have a cumulative un-weighted GPA of 3.5 or above, plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, and must demonstrate unmet financial need. The first year MxCC participated, our own student Autumn Greenberg won. She earned her Bachelors degree from Wesleyan University. Application period is from mid-September to early November for the undergraduate transfer scholarship. For further information please contact the MxCC JKCF Representative, Judy Mazgulski, Retention Specialist via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (860) 343-5868. You can also visit their website: www.jkcf.org/scholarship-programs/undergraduate-transfer/
- The Neil Patel Scholarship Program
Amount of Award: $5000
Deadline: December 1, 2015
Who can apply?: Anyone attending a college
How to apply? Submit a one-page essay on what you plan on doing after you graduate from college.
- Target Corporation offers scholarships to high school and college students nationwide. The Target All-Around Scholarship is devoted to students that have a high level of academic achievement and a devotion to community service. To apply, call directly at 1-800-316-6142. Target is also partnered with the United Negro College Fund, The Hispanic College Fund and offers scholarship opportunities to aspiring fashion designers, The Target Fashion Scholar Program. www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/companies/target.htm
- Coca- Cola Community College Academic Team Program provides scholarships for students who are currently enrolled in a 2 year community college based on academic achievement. This minimum $1000 scholarship is administered by Phi Theta Kappa, the 2 year college academic honors program. www.ptk.org Apply between early October and early December. Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship is an achievement-based scholarship awarded to graduating high school seniors each year. www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/
- Big Y Foods, Inc. (one of the largest locally-owned supermarket chains in Southern New England) offers scholarships opportunities to students with academic merit and achievement. Awards are offered to both traditional students at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Over 300 scholarships available. Early February deadline. www.bigy.com/Community/Scholarships
- Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged Essay Contest– Ayn Rand was an author, philosopher, playwright and screenwriter. Her two best selling novels “The Fountainhead” and “Atlas Shrugged” are intellectually challenging and inspiring novels. The Ayn Rand Foundation sponsors essay contests for high school, undergraduate and graduate students. Awards range from $50-$10,000. The essays are based on three topics (choose one of your interest) about the book “Atlas Shrugged.” Interested in philosophy? Has October deadline. http://essaycontest.aynrandnovels.com/AtlasShrugged.aspx?theme=blue
- Mensa Education and Research Foundation is a philanthropic, nonprofit 201 (c)(3) organization committed to the pursuit of excellence and human intelligence. Scholarships are awarded based on applicant essays. www.mensafoundation.org/what-we-do/scholarships/
- Lift Parts Express offers a yearly scholarship to students ages 16-21, attending school in the fall and has a 3.0 GPA. Applicants must reside in United States or Canada. www.forkliftpartsindiana.com/forkliftparts.php
- Global Life Equipment provides one yearly scholarship opportunity to U.S. or Canadian students currently attending or planning a post-secondary institution in the fall. 2.5 GPA or higher required. Applicant must write a short story from the point of view of a piece of used equipment found in their company inventory. www.usedforklifttexas.com/used_inventory/2882/used_sellick_forklifts_inventory_texas.php
- LM – Leavitt Machinery Scholarship Programs accepts applications from students who are currently enrolled or expected to be enrolled in a degree program by September in the United States or Canada. Must carry a 3.0 minimum GPA. Essay required about safety procedures and injury prevention. $500 awarded annually. www.collegexpress.com/scholarships/lm-scholarship-program/2023630/
- Webhostingjams.com Essay Writing Scholarship Program awards up to $1000 to current full or part-time students with 3.0 GPA or higher who write an interesting and compelling essay (600-1000 words) about anything technology related (social media trends, apps, gadgets, etc.) Share your findings and opinions. www.webhostingjams.com
WOMEN- RELATED SCHOLARSHIPS & AWARDS
- Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Award is available to women who are the primary financial source in their households by giving them support to achieve their educational goals and to improve their workforce skills. Visit their website nationwide: www.soroptimist.orgor the local chapter www.soroptimistner.org/clubs_ctrivervalley.htm
- AAUW-American Association of University Women has been empowering women as individuals since 1881. Fellowships and grant opportunities are offered to women who are completing dissertations, planning research leave from accredited institutions or preparing research for publication. MxCC students: the local AAUW chapter seeks membership and supports women in their stride to become educational leaders. www.aauw.org
- Accounting and Financial Women’s Alliance- Finance and Accounting scholarships opportunities are available to women that are pursuing a degree in accounting or finance. Supports the cost of attending the 3rd, 4th or 5th year. CT Chapter #045 (ctafwa.org) www.afwa.org/foundation/scholarships/#.U5cqpxanU8M
- Professional Women in Construction CT Chapter- Annual scholarship opportunities are available to women and men who are working towards a degree in architecture, construction and or engineering. www.pwcusa.org/chapter-specific/CT01/scholarships.php?chapter=CT01
MINORITY & ETHNIC- RELATED SCHOLARSHIPS & AWARDS
- THE GATES MILLENNIUM SCHOLARS PROGRAM -The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program selects 1,000 talented students that are considered minorities each year to receive a good-through graduation scholarship to use at any college or university of their choice. Partnered with UNCF (United Negro College Fund), HSF (Hispanic Scholarship Fund), AIGCS (American Indian Graduate Center Scholars), and APIASF (Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund) The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program offers opportunities to students that have are motivated to be excellent with their academics and have significant financial need. A minimum GPA of 3.3 is necessary. GMS announces the entire list of students selected for the GMS Class of 2014 in a press release. The deadline www.gmsp.org
- CALAHE – Connecticut Association of Latinos in Higher Education offers scholarship opportunities to incoming freshmen students and college undergraduates. Awarded to 20 students each year; some who are community college students! www.calahe.org
- Connecticut Indian Council – Assistance with tuition and books for qualifying applicants
- Xerox offers awards between $1,000-$10,000.00 to qualified minority students enrolled in a technical degree program at the bachelor level or above. www.xerox.com/jobs/minority-scholarships/enus.html
- LULAC – League of United Latin American Citizens has been providing scholarships to Hispanic students that meet specific guidelines. There are a variety of scholarships offered to high school seniors, undergraduate and graduate college students. www.lulac.org/programs/education/scholarships/
- NABJ – National Association of Black Journalists awards scholarships annually to deserving students that are interested in pursuing careers in journalism. www.nabj.org/?SEEDScholars2013
- Armenian Student’s Association of America is a non-profit organization based in Rhode Island that offers scholarship opportunities to Armenian descent students. www.asainc.org/national/scholarships.shtml
- CT Minority Teacher Incentive Grant/Weisman Scholarship – Scholarship opportunities for the final two years of full-time study to minority undergraduates enrolled in a teacher preparation program. www.ctohe.org/sfa/pdfs/MTIPForm.pdf
- Swiss Connecticut Club – Provides scholarships to children of Swiss descendants in CT. www.swissclubct.org/scholar.php
NEW ENGLAND AREA COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
- NETA- New England Transfer Association each year offers awards to scholarship students that transfer from a NETA affiliated 2 year institution to a NETA qualified 4 year institution. A consistent minimum GPA of 3.25 is required. www.newenglandtransfer.org/content/neta-scholarships
- Western New England University in Springfield, Mass. offers scholarships and aid to students that are interested in a private school education. www1.wne.edu/admissions/index.cfm?selection=doc.4133
- Johnson and Wales University offers scholarship opportunities to students that have completed 45 quarter-credit hours or more at a previous college with a minimum 3.0 GPA www.jwu.edu/content.aspx?id=11886
- Albertus Magnus College in New Haven offers various scholarships for undergraduate and transfer students. www.albertus.edu/undergraduate-degrees/undergraduate-degree-programs/
- Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston Massachusetts has a variety of scholarships for students that are planning a career in technology. www.wit.edu/ssc/financial/outside-scholarships/general-scholarships.html
- University of Saint Joseph- Awards scholarships to transfer students that may qualify. www.usj.edu/admissions-financial-aid/tuition-and-financial-aid/scholarships-grants/usj-scholarships/
- Charter Oak State College offers scholarships opportunities to community college graduate students that demonstrated and interest and success in online learning. GPA 2.7 or higher required. www.charteroak.edu/community-college/scholarship-info.cfm
- Wesleyan University has a special interest in transfer students from Connecticut Community Colleges. Transfer students add a great deal to the life and character of Wesleyan University. The Etherington Scholarship is named for Wesleyan’s former president Edwin Etherington and attracts some of the top graduates of the two-year state colleges. All applicants to Wesleyan are considered for the Etherington Scholarship based on financial need. Wesleyan also offers a special endowed scholarship to U.S. military Veterans. www.wesleyan.edu/admission/applying/admission_types/transfer_students.html
- University of Bridgeport- Qualified transfer applicants can receive scholarships in the range from $6000 to $15,000. GPA is considered. www.bridgeport.edu/finaid/undergraduate-and-ideal-students/scholarships/
- University of New Haven- The Transfer Presidential Scholarship is offered to students that are transferring from another college or university. Minimum GPA of 3.0 required. www.newhaven.edu/admissions/ugrad/affordable/scholarships/transfer/
BUSINESS- RELATED SCHOLARSHIPS
- Be an Actuary offers various financial aid opportunities and scholarships to students interested in pursuing a career in Actuarial Science. www.beanactuary.org/how/?fa=scholarships
- MassMutual Scholars Program– a national scholarship program for high achieving college students interested in pursuing careers in the insurance and financial services industry. massmutual.scholarsapply.org
- Odenza Marketing Group Scholarship is designed for students between ages 16-25 who have maintained a minimum 2.5 GPA in their most recent year completed. Two written essays are required. www.odenzascholarships.com
COMMUNICATIONS, BROADCASTING AND JOURNALISM
- CT Broadcasters Association scholarship for students majoring in broadcasting, communications, marketing, journalism, engineering or electronics. www.ctba.org/page.cfm?page=17
- CEHA Scholarships – download document for more information
- Environmental Professionals’ Organization of CT (EPOC) Environmental Scholarship Fund is awarded annually to junior, senior and graduate level students enrolled in an environmental field major that prepares the student to become a Technical Environmental Professional in the state of CT. Awards are given annually in September. www.epoc.org/
- The Federated Garden Clubs of CT -Scholarships for students majoring in conservation, environmental studies, forestry and allied subjects. www.ctgardenclubs.org
SEARCHABLE SCHOLARSHIP DATABASES: (popular and trusted sites; some with scholarship matching services)
- IEFA-International Financial Aid and College Scholarship is a database of scholarships where you can tailor your search to your preferences. www.iefa.org/scholarships
- CollegeXpress is a comprehensive, easy to navigate site with scholarship search capability but a wealth of information for the college-bound and current college student. Bills itself as the ultimate Has helpful and relevant advice and articles on college life and career success. www.collegexpress.com
- CollegeNet is a database to search for scholarships that meet your personal needs by entering keywords by providing as little or as much information you desire. www.collegenet.com/mach25/app
- Fastweb has listings of scholarships, internships, colleges and more. www.fastweb.com
- Federal Student Aid is an office of the U.S. Department of Education that provides a comprehensive database of scholarships and other opportunities. A must see for the newcomer to college. www.studentaid.ed.gov
- FinAid.org – The “SmartStudent” Guide to Financial Aid is a reputable resource for scholarship, loan, savings plan and military aid information. www.finaid.org
- SallieMae not only provides student loans; they also have scholarship opportunities www.salliemae.com/plan-for-college/
- Scholarships.com has 76 pages of over 200 scholarship listings; many geared toward H.S. seniors. Has a high number of diversity based opportunities (women, minorities, including LGBT), many health related. A wide mix. Worth reviewing! www.Scholarships.com
- School Soup “Ingredients For College and University Success” has an enormous scholarship database that claims to be the worlds leading site for scholarships and financial aid. School Soup also has a wide range of information available for students bound for college. schoolsoup.com/scholarship-directory/
- The Roothbert Fund awards small scholarships to students that attend accredited colleges or universities and are “motivated by spiritual values.” Preference given to those considering careers in education. Essays, transcripts and recommendations required. Interview also required. (New Haven, CT) Forms available Nov 1-Jan 1. Recipients must attend at least one weekend fellowship meeting. www.roothbertfund.org/scholarships.php
- Knights of Columbus – For students that plan to apply to a catholic college or catholic university. Undergraduate scholarships are awarded to incoming freshman and are normally renewed for a total of four years. Scholarship office based in New Haven, CT www.kofc.org/un/en/scholarships/index.html
- ROTC-Reserve Office Training Corps offers scholarships for the college student that is interested in enrolling in the Army. www.goarmy.com/rotc/college-students.html
- United States Coast Guard Academy Four almost free years and a stipend to students willing to serve for five years in the Coast Guard (as an officer) after graduation. The only cost, an initial entrance fee of $3,000, can be waived in the case of verifiable hardship. www.uscga.edu/cgas/
HEALTH CARE- RELATED SCHOLARSHIPS
- Got a Spine Scholarship is provided by Arctic Chiropractic, Alaska. Students with 2.5 GPA, any major, residing in the United States or Canada are eligible to apply. Essays required. www.arcticchiropracticfairbanks.com/chiropractor_fairbanks.php
Visiting Nurses of the Lower Valley- Scholarship opportunities available to students that reside in Essex, Chester, Deep River and Old Saybrook who plan on pursuing a degree in the health care field. Priority will be given to students who are entering the nursing field. One or more awarded on the basis of academic achievement, volunteerism and motivation. Late spring application deadline. www.visitingnurses.org/news-awards/scholarship/
ARTISTIC AND CREATIVE – RELATED SCHOLARSHIPS
Milton Fisher Scholarship offers up to $20,000 (up to $5,000 per year for four years) and is open to exceptionally innovative and creative high school juniors, seniors and college freshmen from CT or the NYC metro area. If awarded, the scholarship can be used at any school in the country. Application deadline is the end of April annually. Administered by the Community Foundation for Greater New Haven. www.rbffoundation.org
The Rhodes Scholarshipsare the oldest and most celebrated international fellowship awards in the world. Each year 32 young Americans are selected as Rhodes Scholars, through a decentralized process representing the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Applicants from more than 300 American colleges and universities have been selected as Rhodes Scholars to study at Oxford. In most years, even after a century of competition, a Rhodes scholar is selected from an institution, which has not formerly supplied a successful applicant. Candidates selected show potential to be public-spirited leaders of the world’s future. www.rhodesscholar.org