Sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.MxCC strives to lead the sustainability efforts of the region through modeling sustainable practices and educating students and the community about conservation and environmental stewardship. In April 2012, MxCC President Anna Wasescha signed the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). The President’s Climate Action Response Team (PCART) was formed to address the reporting requirements of this commitment. With input and support from the college and outside community, MxCC’s first climate action plan was completed in February of 2015 and filed with the ACUPCC.
A copy of MxCC’s climate action plan can be found here.
We are incorporating sustainability initiatives into every aspect of the college, including daily operations, curriculum, student life, and community outreach.
Current initiatives include:
- Maintaining ongoing communication with the community such as through this website
- Reviewing system-wide Energy Audit recommendations
- Installing solar panels on campus
- Responding to Waste Reduction suggestions
- Further investigation into implementing composting on campus
- Transitioning energy report generation from outside to internal
- Assisting in Earth Week Activities and other community events
Have some ideas for how MxCC can reduce waste? Look for the suggestion boxes scattered around campus (there’s one in the Library) and make your voice heard!