PLAN FOR SPRING 2019 SEMESTER
Come learn about the program !
Middletown Info Sessions – all at 4 PM
10/17 – MxCC Snow Hall
11/7, 11/28, & 12/12/2018 – Russell Library
Meriden Public Library – 5:30 PM – Cook Room
11/29 & 12/13/2018
No registration needed
Class schedule info at http://mxcc.edu/ce/.
What is SNAP Employment + Training?
Great opportunity for SNAP clients to get career training for good jobs.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), known before as food stamps, helps low income individuals and families buy food to stay healthy.
The Employment and Training (E & T) Program is federally funded and prepares clients for work by offering a scholarship program with career skills, training, mentoring, and support services. This approach helps students/clients learn professional skills for work opportunities paying good wages.
The MxCC SNAP E & T program currently offers only the following non-credit courses and vary by semester. The MxCC Continuing Ed online course listing has times and dates at
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Human Services Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Phlebotomy Certification
- Security Officer Certification
- Veterinary Assistant
- Patient Care Technician (have active CNA license)
2018 career and workplace skills for the employment market information
How do I qualify ?
- Receive SNAP at registration and whole course.
- No TANF (cash assistance).
- Have a GED or high school diploma.
- You must maintain and daily check an email address – it is how the college communicates.
- Be fully able to work at end of certificate program.
- We do criminal background checks with our application.
- Students with a “HOLD” in the CT college system cannot register for SNAP Training. **This means you owe money, do not have immunizations up to date, or have missing documents.
- Must pass free basic college level placement testing in Math and English after you fill out an application. Testing Info at http://mxcc.edu/bsa/.
- ***Exempt from testing if passed college level classes in these subjects. Bring a copy of the transcript.
- Sept. 2018 placement-testing-directions
- If basic Math and English is rusty – contact your city’s adult education program to improve. MxCC also offers free classes with Fast Track Math and English. Learn about the classes on the MxCC web site under the ACADEMICS section.
The application process
MxCC verifies SNAP client eligibility. Students must provide:
- The four page application(link below)
- Picture ID (govt. issued)
- EBT card or benefit letter
- Interview with Program Coordinator
- ** Be advised if you have been convicted of a felony, you may not be eligible for clinical experiences, internships, or certifications associated with health profession courses or programs. Previous convictions may make it difficult to secure employment in a health care setting.
Paper applications will soon be available in agencies throughout the area.
If any questions email or fill out the form below to be contacted.
Patrice Barrett MPH – Grant coordinator
Snow Hall 508, Middletown campus
Last updated 8-28-2018