FALL 2018 SEMESTER
Middletown Info Sessions at 4 PM on
9/26, 10/17, 11/7, 1 1/28, and 12/12/2018
MxCC – SNOW Hall 506 and
Meriden Public Library – 5:30 PM – Cook Room on
10/11, 11/29 and 12/13/2018
No registration needed
Class schedule info at http://mxcc.edu/ce/.
What is SNAP Employment + Training?
Great opportunity for adult SNAP clients to get career training for good jobs.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), known before as food stamps, helps low income individuals and families buy food to stay healthy.
The Employment and Training (E & T) Program is a federally funded program that prepares clients for work by offering a scholarship application program with career skills, training, mentoring, and support services. This approach helps students/clients learn professional skills that result in work opportunities paying good wages.
The MxCC SNAP E & T program currently offers only the following non-credit courses and vary by semester. The MxCC Continuing Ed online course listing has times and dates at
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Human Services Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Phlebotomy Certification
- Security Officer Certification
- Veterinary Assistant
- Patient Care Technician (have active CNA license)
2018 career and workplace skills for the employment market
How do I qualify ?
- Receive SNAP at registration and whole course.
- No TANF (cash assistance).
- Have a GED or high school diploma.
- You must maintain and daily check an email address – it is how the college communicates.
- Be fully able to work at end of certificate program.
- Able to be legally employed – many employers will not accept a felony record or failed drug screen. We do criminal background checks with your application.
- Students with a “HOLD” in the CT college system cannot register for SNAP Training. **This means you owe money, do not have immunizations up to date, or have missing documents.
- Must pass basic college level placement testing in Math and English after you fill out an application. Testing Info at http://mxcc.edu/accuplacer.
- ***Exempt from testing if passed college level classes in these subjects. Bring a copy of the transcript.
- If basic Math and English is rusty – contact your city’s adult education program to improve. MxCC also offers free classes with Fast Track Math and English (2 weeks long) Learn about the Fast Track classes MxCC web site under the ACADEMICS section.
- Placement testing information document Placement testing directions
MxCC verifies SNAP client eligibility. Students must provide:
- The four page application(link below)
- Picture ID (govt. issued)
- EBT card or benefit letter
- Interview with Program Coordinator
Can also drop off the paper application to the school.
Paper applications will soon be available in places throughout the area.
If any questions, contact:
Patrice Barrett MPH
MxCC SNAP Employment and Training coordinator