STATEMENT ON CIVILITY
“Students are the Center of Middlesex Community College.” This is the first line of the college’s mission statement and it is what we stand for. Middlesex Community College is committed to student success but success can only occur in an environment that supports learning and personal growth. Towards that end, it is the college’s intention to cultivate an environment that requires the acceptance of personal responsibility, mutual respect, and tolerance of all people and perspectives.
As members of this college community we are all expected to:
- Recognize that each person in our community is a diverse individual and treat him or her with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect.
- Model the behavior you want to see from others.
- Be a respectful listener.
- Accept that disagreement will exist; you are not always right and others are not always wrong.
- Adopt a positive and solution–driven approach to resolving conflicts.
- Be sensitive to the impact of tone, language and content of our verbal and written communication, including electronic communication.
- Recognize and respect that social interaction and communication can be difficult for some.
- Be patient with individuals who become stressed during unpredictable situations; at the same time, try not to take your stress out on others.
- Refrain from cursing or using terms that are derogatory to race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, or religion.
- Respect confidentiality, avoid gossip, and take care not to spread untruths or to undermine the credibility of our classmates or colleagues.
- Refrain from engaging in acts of, or making threats of, physical violence.
- Remember that kindness has a ripple effect that extends far beyond the initial recipient; a smile and the words “please” and “thank you” go a long way.
Adopted September 2018